SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Orion for this season

alexbb

Hello all!

I acquired yesterday the third hydrogen panel of this area. I might add 2 more below, in landscape. We shall see how the weather plays. 2.5h each panel in 300s subs at unity gain. And some 30s exposures for the core. Camera is ASI1600MMC on the Canon 300 F4 L lens, cooled to -15C. And first successful try with the Astro Pixel Processor, though, the stacks were made with DSS. I just purchased APP and I didn't restack them.

I'm not sure if I should add more hydrogen data or move to oxygen and then LRGB. I still have time to decide until Feb-March.

More details: http://www.astrobin.com/317154/

Comments welcomed.

Clear skies,

Alex

IC434-M42-F290-2017-10-16-Ha_p02.jpg

IC434-M42-F290-2017-10-16-Ha_p03.jpg

IC434-M42-F290-2017-10-20-Ha_p02_crop.jpg

IC434-M42-F290-2017-11-24-Ha_p05.jpg

That's a cracker, an absolute cracker.

I agee that you may struggle to keep the stars down in broadband but OIII should play well. I'd be wondering what a bicolour HaOIII would do with star colour from a quick RGB shoot, gently stretched.

These cameras are getting more tempting by the day.

Olly

Many thanks to you all!

I used the Optolong 7nm Ha filter.

I will shoot some O3 at some point and combine into HOO, but I still want to add some RGB, not only for stars. I feel sorry for NGC 2024 and 2023 not to have them as RGB. I might try to remove the stars from the RGB image, add it like this, colour the NB stars with the colour of the RGB ones and add the coloured stars back into the combination. Still, there's some time to wait for this.

I edited the first post and added a slight more stretched version.

And here's a version processed by a friend of mine: https://ibb.co/mbjAd6

Of all, which do you prefer?

Thank you again and clear skies,

Alex

Many thanks to you all!

David, it took me 5 nights, but I could have covered the same area with 4 panels only. All you need is a wide TS65, an ASI1600MMC, a Ha filter and 4 clear nights :p Now... where could you find those?!

I shot 4 more panels to cover the same area and increase the SNR. Now for a total of more than 22 hours. The result is at the bottom in the edited original post.

Much smoother I think.

https://www.astrobin.com/317154/D/

And below the M42 core. 24x10s with the same Canon 300 F4 L IS, ASI1600MMC.

Thanks for looking and clear skies!

Alex

OrionCore-01.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I started this, but I only had 5 usable nights for OIII and even with those, I was not able to acquire all what I wanted. The 2 OIII panels at the bottom are stacks of 20-22 x5 minutes subs. The ones at the top are 30-31 x5min. Anyway, there's not much oxygen at the bottom area.

I tried to lift a lot the blue around the flame and NGC2023, but without much impact to the flame.

The O3 filter is a pain, it reflects a lot. A lot. With the non AR coated sensor, I had huge halos, they are tamed down in the image below.

I could have sharpened more the core area, but I didn't want to exaggerate.

Ha as red-ish - 22.5h, O3 as cyan-blue - 9h. Perhaps still too red.

I don't even know what else to add to this description, it tired me a lot yesterday to process it and drained my energy since October.

Make sure you watch at full resolution. Here's also a direct link to an original: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17tr8lqagQAJg8maojtHZPbM-f67gSBTv

Any opinions are welcomed!

Clear skies!

Alex

IC434-M42-F290-2018-01-18-HOO-p08-crop.jpg

Archived