SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horse Head Nebula - Seeing the 'Snout'

scarp15

I think that we can conclude that the snout requires more aperture than our commonly used scopes as well as the darkest skies, excellent transparency. Perhaps Gerry might have some success when early next year, he gets his 24" dob up and running.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll agree with quite a few on here that the slightest bit of moisture in the air kills the contrast and makes it difficult to see nevermind pick the details out of.

There are differences between filters even from the same brand. I used a Lumicon 1.25" H beta, but whilst at the galloway star party I had the chance to borrow a 2" Lumicon H beta and the image and contrast were much brighter.

As for seeing it's finer details unless the conditions are right It will be a hard push to pull the snout out.

I've since changed to a 2" H beta but not had much chance to use it. Maybe the Isle of Skye with the mob will give us some good nights and we'll pick out it's bridle :icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, mapstar said:

There are differences between filters even from the same brand. I used a Lumicon 1.25" H beta, but whilst at the galloway star party I had the chance to borrow a 2" Lumicon H beta and the image and contrast were much brighter.....

This is very true. They vary batch to batch. My current H-Beta is an Astronomik (having previously tried a Lumicon) but I've yet to find out whether it will be the key that unlocks the door to the stable :smiley:

Lumicon may, they have changed owners several times. I would expect  better consistency from people like Astronomik, anyone have any experience? I do hope people don’t suffer too badly (weather) on Skye as they try to cure this annual horsey madness! 

PeterW

My Lumicon 2" Hb is not that great but the 2" UHC from Lumicon is VG showing the HH easily with the 15". My 1.25 Astronomik Hb is much better than the 2" Lumicon Hb... I prefer the UHC for this object now as the extra bit of light helps IC 434 to my eyes. Transparency is key for seeing this object.

On 19/10/2017 at 20:29, Mark at Beaufort said:

That would be very nice John. I remember fondly the observing night we had together at a SGL star party. I think we need to choose a date around a new Moon when Orion is a bit higher so does not make the timing too late. I have decided on a venue which is an official dark site and has a reasonable place to park and set up some scopes. We must keep in touch.

Wish I could join you as you are still the only SGL member I have actually spoke to, though when I found the HH was so disappointed I almost cried.

Alan

On 11/5/2017 at 08:17, alan potts said:

Wish I could join you as you are still the only SGL member I have actually spoke to, though when I found the HH was so disappointed I almost cried.

Alan

Alan it would be good to meet up at some stage especially doing some observing together. John and myself had a brilliant observing night together a few years back. I know he was disappointed when I viewed the HH through a 16" scope a few days before he arrived at the Lucksall star party.

On 06/11/2017 at 20:30, Mark at Beaufort said:

..... I know he was disappointed when I viewed the HH through a 16" scope a few days before he arrived at the Lucksall star party.

The evening before I arrived I seem to recall..... and it rained pretty much for the rest of the event :rolleyes2:

Still a lot of fun though :smiley:

On 10/22/2017 at 13:37, scarp15 said:

I think that we can conclude that the snout requires more aperture than our commonly used scopes as well as the darkest skies, excellent transparency. Perhaps Gerry might have some success when early next year, he gets his 24" dob up and running.

The answer...

...Elan Valley, last Sunday night, excellent transparency,  sooo dark, after midnight, 22" f5 dobsonian with premium optics, 31 Nagler and Paracorr, 2" Hbeta filter.

Another chesspiece moment, awesome!!!

Not my 'scope though  :(

I'll remember the view for a long time.  Paul

11 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

The answer...

...Elan Valley, last Sunday night, excellent transparency,  sooo dark, after midnight, 22" f5 dobsonian with premium optics, 31 Nagler and Paracorr, 2" Hbeta filter.

Another chesspiece moment, awesome!!!

Not my 'scope though  :(

I'll remember the view for a long time.  Paul

Or Skye with a 22" next week :thumbright:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 20:52, mapstar said:

Or Skye with a 22" next week :thumbright:

Go for it Damian, I am always amazed looking through that giant scope of yours , even from Winscar res which is not a really dark sky site the view are awesome !! 

I'm naively hoping for a decent crack at the HH from home tomorrow night.....

Gear wise I'm all set. 16" Dob (with clean mirrors), TV 25 & 20mm ploses, 24mm Panoptic, Lumicon & Astroniomik Hb, Lumicon UHC.

I know where it is after several orientation jaunts (and some nice views of other parts of the local nebula complex).

Hopes aren't high, but, the more times I try...... I really liked John's "nearly saw it" description. I've been there a few times.

Paul

Orion will be around till the spring starparties. I had my best view with an 18” at one a few years back, field of view was much smaller than I like, but he view was photographic.... snout and all. Good luck on Skye, we await your reports.

Peter

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

.... I'm still waiting for the night where I get to glimpse and hint of this beastie.... ANY let alone the snout...

Me too !

It's good to read about others sucesses though. Makes it seem attainable at least, if all the factors come together :icon_biggrin:

It's when you read about folks picking it up with an 80mm scope from a Hawaii mountain top that you can get despondant :rolleyes2:

On 14 November 2017 at 20:40, clarkpm4242 said:

Not my 'scope though

? Paul - You are hardly slumping it on the scope stakes!!!?

Have you caught the pesky nag in your gourmet 16"?

16" is the best that I have. Do I need to buy a bigger scope? 

Paul

6 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Have you caught the pesky nag in your gourmet 16"?

16" is the best that I have. Do I need to buy a bigger scope?

Seen many times through a 16 (and smaller).  Good preparation then all about the conditions!

Good luck!!

Paul

10 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

THE SNOUT, VISUALLY!?!??! I'm still waiting for the night where I get to glimpse and hint of this beastie.... ANY let alone the snout...

what part of syders are  you mate? get down toward goulburn or up mudgee way. anywhere within 80km from cbd is gonna be a struggle

5 hours ago, Scott said:

what part of syders are  you mate? get down toward goulburn or up mudgee way. anywhere within 80km from cbd is gonna be a struggle

Yeah, thats the plan... I am quite far from the CBD and I do have nights where the sky is very dark... seen a lot of detail in the Lagoon, Omega, Trifid, Orion, Carina, Helix shape with its central pulsar and I saw a shade where one of the darker pillars of creation is, so I do have moments of good seeing... but I moved to my darker location only recently so I didn't get to experience the dark sky condition while Orion was up.

I drove down about 130km south of Sydney CBD to the mountains and there I also saw plenty of detail in nebulae and galaxies..... so I'm still hopeful for the Horsey...

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

Orion will be around till the spring starparties. I had my best view with an 18” at one a few years back, field of view was much smaller than I like, but he view was photographic.... snout and all. Good luck on Skye, we await your reports.

Peter

Ok, Now I'm jelous....

11 hours ago, John said:

Me too !

It's good to read about others sucesses though. Makes it seem attainable at least, if all the factors come together :icon_biggrin:

It's when you read about folks picking it up with an 80mm scope from a Hawaii mountain top that you can get despondant :rolleyes2:

Yeah exactly... you read about peeps who see it with a 80mm refractor and I couldnt pick it with a 200mm SCT!!!!... I'm still to give it a serious go with my 14" tho... so I'm thinking (HOPING more like it) that I'll pop in the HBeta filter on the 31mm Nagler look through the eye piece and see a view that is as PeterW said, a photographic view, snout and all....

I did get some great 10 & 15 minute subs of the Horse at 2032mm FL, exposing after work, still need to stack and process the data... so it's a start.

Archived