Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

scarp15

Horse Head Nebula - Seeing the 'Snout'

scarp15    2,088

I think that we can conclude that the snout requires more aperture than our commonly used scopes as well as the darkest skies, excellent transparency. Perhaps Gerry might have some success when early next year, he gets his 24" dob up and running.

• Like 1

bish    624

I've only seen it as a faint notch once. I think it would be good to be able to see some of the detail. 

mapstar    5,578

I'll agree with quite a few on here that the slightest bit of moisture in the air kills the contrast and makes it difficult to see nevermind pick the details out of.

There are differences between filters even from the same brand. I used a Lumicon 1.25" H beta, but whilst at the galloway star party I had the chance to borrow a 2" Lumicon H beta and the image and contrast were much brighter.

As for seeing it's finer details unless the conditions are right It will be a hard push to pull the snout out.

I've since changed to a 2" H beta but not had much chance to use it. Maybe the Isle of Skye with the mob will give us some good nights and we'll pick out it's bridle :icon_biggrin:

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

John    17,555
9 hours ago, mapstar said:

There are differences between filters even from the same brand. I used a Lumicon 1.25" H beta, but whilst at the galloway star party I had the chance to borrow a 2" Lumicon H beta and the image and contrast were much brighter.....

This is very true. They vary batch to batch. My current H-Beta is an Astronomik (having previously tried a Lumicon) but I've yet to find out whether it will be the key that unlocks the door to the stable :smiley:

• Like 2

PeterW    414

Lumicon may, they have changed owners several times. I would expect  better consistency from people like Astronomik, anyone have any experience? I do hope people don’t suffer too badly (weather) on Skye as they try to cure this annual horsey madness! 

PeterW

jetstream    4,076

My Lumicon 2" Hb is not that great but the 2" UHC from Lumicon is VG showing the HH easily with the 15". My 1.25 Astronomik Hb is much better than the 2" Lumicon Hb... I prefer the UHC for this object now as the extra bit of light helps IC 434 to my eyes. Transparency is key for seeing this object.

• Like 2

alan potts    3,695
On 19/10/2017 at 20:29, Mark at Beaufort said:

That would be very nice John. I remember fondly the observing night we had together at a SGL star party. I think we need to choose a date around a new Moon when Orion is a bit higher so does not make the timing too late. I have decided on a venue which is an official dark site and has a reasonable place to park and set up some scopes. We must keep in touch.

Wish I could join you as you are still the only SGL member I have actually spoke to, though when I found the HH was so disappointed I almost cried.

Alan

PeterW    414

Orion will be around till the spring starparties. I had my best view with an 18” at one a few years back, field of view was much smaller than I like, but he view was photographic.

Peter

Mark at Beaufort    2,531
On 11/5/2017 at 08:17, alan potts said:

Wish I could join you as you are still the only SGL member I have actually spoke to, though when I found the HH was so disappointed I almost cried.

Alan

Alan it would be good to meet up at some stage especially doing some observing together. John and myself had a brilliant observing night together a few years back. I know he was disappointed when I viewed the HH through a 16" scope a few days before he arrived at the Lucksall star party.

• Like 3

kirkster501    1,479

I've never seen the HHN, even from very dark skies in the desert with Orion directly overhead.  Would love to be able to.

John    17,555
On 06/11/2017 at 20:30, Mark at Beaufort said:

..... I know he was disappointed when I viewed the HH through a 16" scope a few days before he arrived at the Lucksall star party.

The evening before I arrived I seem to recall..... and it rained pretty much for the rest of the event :rolleyes2:

Still a lot of fun though :smiley:

clarkpm4242    310
On 10/22/2017 at 13:37, scarp15 said:

I think that we can conclude that the snout requires more aperture than our commonly used scopes as well as the darkest skies, excellent transparency. Perhaps Gerry might have some success when early next year, he gets his 24" dob up and running.

The answer...

...Elan Valley, last Sunday night, excellent transparency,  sooo dark, after midnight, 22" f5 dobsonian with premium optics, 31 Nagler and Paracorr, 2" Hbeta filter.

Another chesspiece moment, awesome!!!

Not my 'scope though  :(

I'll remember the view for a long time.  Paul

• Like 2

mapstar    5,578
11 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

The answer...

...Elan Valley, last Sunday night, excellent transparency,  sooo dark, after midnight, 22" f5 dobsonian with premium optics, 31 Nagler and Paracorr, 2" Hbeta filter.

Another chesspiece moment, awesome!!!

Not my 'scope though  :(

I'll remember the view for a long time.  Paul

Or Skye with a 22" next week :thumbright:

• Like 2