SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best portable tracking mount for DSLR

darthvader

So knowledgeable persons of SGL what in your opinions is a good portable mount (+tripod if required)  for use solely with a Canon DSLR. I have a Dob and want to do some 'easy' imaging before i fork out a mortgage on some 'proper' imaging kit.

I see the Skywatcher Star Adventurer looks ok. What other bits and bobs would I need with this? Presumably a tripod and a ball joint thingy?

I want to be able to chuck it in the car and pop down the road to a nice dark site close by so it needs to be portable and fairly quick to set up.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. As always much appreciated ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anakin, 

I have only used the Star Adventurer and can wholeheartedly recommend it. Get the wedge for it, a small ball head and a sturdy tripod. Maybe the Astronomy shop of your choice even has a bundle which might save you a few payment units. There is also a small adapter plate to fit a ball-head directly to the SA. 

Depending if you camera offers this functionality, you could get an intervalometer. You'll be a bit more independent regarding exposure times than using the SA's exposure function.

I also recommend to get a decent USB power bank, as it can be comfortably used to power the SA. Should you already have AA rechargeable, those will do as well.

Hope this helps. 

Sven

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I found them useful.

One might, no doubt. I have them as well, but I only use the dovetail to mount my ballhead without the declination unit. I center the weight so I don't need the counterweight. But depending on gear and setup, they might come in handy. 

Awesome, thanks for the replies. The astronomy bundle looks good. It will partly be a xmas present so regrettably the one in the classifieds has come a bit too early for me?

Any recommendations for a good tripod?. I've got a manfrotto monopod for my bins with small pop out legs but this will not be stable enough (the pop out legs are thin and spindly)

18 hours ago, darthvader said:

So knowledgeable persons of SGL what in your opinions is a good portable mount (+tripod if required)  for use solely with a Canon DSLR. I have a Dob and want to do some 'easy' imaging before i fork out a mortgage on some 'proper' imaging kit.

I see the Skywatcher Star Adventurer looks ok. What other bits and bobs would I need with this? Presumably a tripod and a ball joint thingy?

I want to be able to chuck it in the car and pop down the road to a nice dark site close by so it needs to be portable and fairly quick to set up.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. As always much appreciated ?

You may want to check if the PE spec on the mount is in the range you want before you decide to purchase.

There are many users of the SA here, ask if anyone can post a raw picture (full size) to show the tracking performace. Lets say a 100mm lens and 3-5 minutes? 

On 18/10/2017 at 10:41, Tomvictor said:

You may want to check if the PE spec on the mount is in the range you want before you decide to purchase.

There are many users of the SA here, ask if anyone can post a raw picture (full size) to show the tracking performace. Lets say a 100mm lens and 3-5 minutes? 

What is PE ??

Sorry for not explaining that. PE is periodic error in the mechanical parts in a mount. In your case, with a portable mount and probably no guiding low PE will be important for long exposures with telephoto lens over 100 mm approx.

Mount with large PE + tele lens and no guiding = Bad for image (no round stars). If you want to use only very wide angle lenses it does not matter that mutch. In all simplicity, If a mount does not state the max PE in the spec sheet, expect it to be large.

The only portable mount I know of that states a good PE is the Fornax lighttrack II. I have not tested it.

http://fornaxmounts.com/products/lightrack/lightrack-ii-mount.html#parentVerticalTab2

On the matter of exposure times is 3 minutes at 300mm FL without an auto-guider ok? I use BYEOS to image and when running multiple exposures have found no star movement under a cursor over 12 minutes when using a 200mm lens. I have found if you can finish polar alignment when Polaris is just on a marked division this helps maximise accuracy.

Cheers,
Steve

14 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

On the matter of exposure times is 3 minutes at 300mm FL without an auto-guider ok? I use BYEOS to image and when running multiple exposures have found no star movement under a cursor over 12 minutes when using a 200mm lens. I have found if you can finish polar alignment when Polaris is just on a marked division this helps maximise accuracy.

Cheers,
Steve

Well, let us see a sample picture in full size.

I would say that is a success if you can do that repeatedly with an unguided mount. I do not think many can though.

8 hours ago, Tomvictor said:

I would say that is a success if you can do that repeatedly with an unguided mount. I do not think many can though.

Well it's certainly possible to achieve and I would encourage others to try. The night previously I had only managed 150 second exposures before trailing was evident in BYEOS on the laptop then I had the idea to complete polar alignment (then switch on the Star Adventurer mount) when Polaris was just on a marked division. As for being repeatable that's waiting for the great British weather to clear but it is certainly going to be how I polar align in the future. Have a look in my album (Perseus double Cluster and Stock 2). As I get more images I will add them to my album.

Cheers,
Steve

On 20/10/2017 at 11:14, JonC said:

Manfrotto 055 tend to go for about £50 on ebay, bargain at that price. My one came with a reasonable photo head for £60.

Maybe put an offer in this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-055A-Camera-Tripod-With-128LP-Head-/112381256828?hash=item1a2a71e47c:g:oUkAAOSwJ4hY~Jr9

Looks good, does the non-pro version of the 055 hold less kg do you know?

I have an Orion Astroview GEM with a RA tracking motor that works well for simple AP. Comes with a dovetail that accepts screw-on camera mounts. Same price as the Skywatcher mount you referenced. It also comes with a PA scope installed.

14 hours ago, darthvader said:

Looks good, does the non-pro version of the 055 hold less kg do you know?

As far as I can make out there is no difference in capacity, I think the XPRO is newer and adds the ability to run the centre column horizontally, this would not be a benefit if you are using it to hold an astro mount. The 055 range have been around for donkeys years, my one is probably 10+ years old, works perfectly, and is rock solid.

Archived