1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

M20 reprocess using Mark's Arcsinh method

carastro

Thought you might be interested to see the results of an image I did a few months ago using the Arcsinh method of retaining star colour (kindly posted in this forum by Mark Shelley - AKA Shark Melley - and he has also written a script for it in Pixinsight's new version).

This is my original process:

de72c311b8134e13555f6f60917dbd31.1824x0_

And this is my new process which I have done from scratch using Mark's method.  I think it has not only retained the star colour but improved the final result overall, so thank you for that valuable tutorial Mark.

c557c36f7ea2a142400aa98f5a6830a7.1824x0_

Edited by carastro
  • Like 8

I think the second is a far  better image. There is less intense red colour in the emission nebula but more of the difficult blue reflection nebulosity is visible, and the star colour is far more intense and varied. Good and varied star colour provides a colour reference point for the nebulosity across the image and is, for me, very important. The second does show a slight issue with your alignment in the red channel but I'm sure that could be sorted.

For me this excellent image could stand a bit of star reduction and some careful sharpening of the brighter nebulosity - but it would be important to exclude the stars and any faint signal.

Olly

Thanks Olly, yes I agree abut the star registration now and will try to do better next time. 

I did try to sharpen it a bit but I don't think it will sharpen any more.  I am just wondering whether I have posted my final image, will check that out.

Carole 

11 hours ago, carastro said:

Thanks Olly, yes I agree abut the star registration now and will try to do better next time. 

I did try to sharpen it a bit but I don't think it will sharpen any more.  I am just wondering whether I have posted my final image, will check that out.

Carole 

Sometimes I find it pays to make red the reference image for registration. I don't know why, but it sometimes works best.

Some of those features will sharpen! I'm certain. :icon_mrgreen:

Olly