Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sza85

How to easily point my lens towards my target?

Hi!

Last week I received my Star Adventurer, and I'm learning how to use it. I had no issues aroud 0 - 80mm, but yesterday I was out trying to take pictures with my 200mm Takumar (300mm on my DX body), and I was struggling to point it towards my target (Andromeda). I know where it is, I could see it with my own eyes, yet, I wasn't able to point my lens towards, only after like 40 minutes... :/

I don't know how others do it, so any advice would be appreciated!

What I was thinking about:

1. hot shoe adapter + phone holder + phone / tablet with stellarium, so I would see in the app where my lens pointing (adds weight)

2. some kind of hot shoe adapter + a reflex sight

3. some kind of hot shoe adapter + a green laser pointer

4. a small scope, maybe a finder scope attached to the other end of the declination unit

5. maybe it's overkill, but is it possible to make the Star Adventurer GoTo somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sza85

Hot Shoe holder and a Red Dot Finder seems an often used set up.

Don't think the Star Adventurer has a Dec motor so that makes goto not an option, as you cannot go down or up.

Where are you, it helps to be able to point you at a supplier of items. As in I think 365Astro sell the bits but may not be applicable to your location.

5 minutes ago, ronin said:

Hot Shoe holder and a Red Dot Finder seems an often used set up.

Don't think the Star Adventurer has a Dec motor so that makes goto not an option, as you cannot go down or up.

Where are you, it helps to be able to point you at a supplier of items. As in I think 365Astro sell the bits but may not be applicable to your location.

I am in Hungary. I guess there are 2 bigger webshops who are selling items like these, but didn't see the hot shoe red dot adapter so far... Well that's what you have Ebay and Aliexpress for. I just have to decide (with your help) which way to go :)

Astroboot (EU) have a hot shoe red dot finder for 13 euros.

Peter

Are you using a ball head? I find it alot easier than just the eq mount. 

4 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Are you using a ball head? I find it alot easier than just the eq mount. 

I have the declination unit attached, and on top of that a ball head, yes.

1 minute ago, geordie85 said:

Then probably a hot shoe adapter and finder would be best 

I'm looking for it, but can't find one. I can see a 6x24 finder scope, I guess that would be enough, but no adapter for hot shoe. The only way I would be able to mount it on my camera is to get the scope and a hot shoe 1/4" adapter, and make a piece of wood in between that fits for all the screws.

2 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Look here

Peter

I've checked that out, and it would be good if I would decide that the red dot finder is good for me. I just don't know if it's enough or it would be better to use a small finder scope which has some magnification.

I would not consider putting a finderscope on a hot shoe - it would be too much weight.

Peter

What I do is platesolve. You can connect something like Stellarium to the ASCOM simulator telescope and then use something like APT or AstroTortilla to do the platesolve, with nthem connected to the simulator as well. This tells you where in the sky you are pointing and you can fine tune knowing exactly where it is you are and how far away from your target you want. I also use a ball/socket to make things easier sometimes, but find I don't often have to.

Not quite your #5, but a manual variant.

Matt

Edited by MattJenko

13 hours ago, MattJenko said:

What I do is platesolve. You can connect something like Stellarium to the ASCOM simulator telescope and then use something like APT or AstroTortilla to do the platesolve, with nthem connected to the simulator as well. This tells you where in the sky you are pointing and you can fine tune knowing exactly where it is you are and how far away from your target you want. I also use a ball/socket to make things easier sometimes, but find I don't often have to.

Not quite your #5, but a manual variant.

Matt

I don't know about it but I'll look into this, thanks!

12 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I usually look through the viewfinder of the camera and star-hop to my target, using the ball-head.

Yes, that's another solution, maybe I shouldn't be lazy :)

14 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I usually look through the viewfinder of the camera and star-hop to my target, using the ball-head.

This would be the way to go. If you make test exposures you can use the bright stars to finetune the pointing.

Btw an equivalent to the SA, but with goto, would be the eq3-Pro.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By Peggson
      I shot this yesterday from a Bortle 6 backyard. Edited in Pixinsight and Photoshop

If someone here knows how to remove purple stars, please  help me . I tried defringing but it didn't really work.
      Also the date is wrong should be 9.10.2020. lol
    • By endlessky
      I have already posted my first astrophotographic session report in the telescope review thread: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series - Review. But since that is more of a general review/diary of my experience with the new telescope, I feel some of the issues I am having are being buried and they will probably get more visibility if I post them - in a more synthetic version - in a dedicated thread.
      So, a few nights ago (October, the 5th) I took out my new telescope for its first light. All the photos have been taken with the 0.8x flattener/reducer and the Optolong L-Pro 2" filter attached to the reducer. The camera is an astromodified Nikon D5300. The only processing the following pictures have consists in this:
      - AutomaticBackgroundExtractor
      - ColorCalibration
      - Stretch
      Here we have a 90s shot of M31.

And here's a mosaic generated with the AberrationInspector script.

What I do like:
      - tightest, smallest, roundest stars I have gotten since I started doing astrophotography at the end of January. Obviously comparing it to what I have been achieving with a kit 70-300mm zoom lens, these can't be anything else but better by orders of magnitude
      What I don't like:
      - star shape not consistent in all areas of the image
      - residual chromatic aberration, especially on stars that are not round: there's clearly some red and blue edges visible
      I didn't expect this from an apochromatic refractor, but maybe it's just because the stars are kinda "smeared", so not all light is focused at the same spot? I don't see this around the center of the image (or, at least, the problem is less pronounced). Maybe I have some tilting in my imaging train/sensor?
      I have been doing some reasoning about it and it seems like a combination of tilting and/or backfocus spacing. According to the following image about backfocus spacing:

if the stars are elongated radially, the sensor is too close, if they are elongated tangentially, the sensor is too far. But to me it seems I have a little bit of both: in the top right corner, for example, the stars look radially elongated, in the bottom right, they look tangentially elongated. Top left they look tangentially elongated, bottom left also, but a little less. Seems like there has to be some tilting as well, otherwise they would all have a symmetric shape on all corners, correct?
      How do I determine - is there even a way - if the issue is due to tilting only, backfocus only, or the combination of the two? Is there a sure proof way of checking for tilting? Like, rotating the camera and taking pictures with, say, the camera at 0°, 90°, 270° and 360°? If there's tilting, the pattern of the star shapes should follow the camera, correct?
      I also tried splitting the channels in R, G, and B components, doing a star alignment of the blue and red channels with the green as a reference, and recombining the channels. The blue and red edges become a lot less evident, which is good, but obviously the star shapes remain the same.
      In my Telescopius gallery you can also find two other images, Capella and Capella Mosaic showing pretty much the same issues.
      Also, one issue with the guide camera: ZWO ASI 224MC. When attached to the guide scope (Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4), I can't seem to get a "sharp" focus, I even tried on the Moon, and the best I got was a soft lunar disc, with some major features visible, mainly by change of color/brightness (the maria, for example), but no details. The image still seemed blurred/bloated. Is it because of lack of IR blocking filter? I tried the same camera attached to the main refractor, with the L-Pro filter (which blocks UV and IR, as well) and I could focus perfectly. Do I need an IR block filter for guiding or even if the stars appear a little soft, the camera guides just fine?
      Matteo
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      Having previously got some reasonable images by mounting a smart phone to the eyepiece. I thought I would try for a more sophisticated set up.
      So last night I tried to get some pictures of the moon using a Canon Eos D450 connected to a Skywatcher 130p Newtonian via a T2 connection on the eyepiece holder.
      As the camera has automatic focusing built into the lens I thought I would have to adjust the focuser on the eyepiece holder to manually get a sharp image.
      Basically the telescope acting as a manually focused lens for the camera.
      But no joy, I just got a bright light which seemed to fill the camera view finder. I tried various settings on the camera, adjusting ISO and aperture etc,  I also had some extention rings for the camera lens so tired fitting those to extend the focal length but no better.
      I sure there are many palms being slapped against foreheads reading this but as you can tell I have no idea, although I do have some of the gear.
      Any pointers and/or advise would be gratefully received.
    • By Emilio
      Hello all,
      I'm new to this forum and astrophotography, and observing for that matter!
      I've been observing for a few weeks now, well, when the clouds allow, obviously! I thought I'd dip my toe in the water as far as imaging goes, but didn't want to go nuts in terms of budget. As luck would have it I managed to get hold of a Canon 1100D on eBay complete with full spectrum mod for £129, which seemed pretty reasonable to me given the cost of the modification on its own. The camera is in great condition and seems to work fine, however I have a couple of queries that I hope you more experienced peeps can help with.
      Firstly I would like to get an OWB filter and wondered if anyone had an opinion on Optolong vs Astronomik? Astronomic are a lot more expensive so if the Optolong does a good job why spend extra?
      Second, and more importantly, I have questions about auto focus. It seems that generally people say that if the IR/UV cut filter is completely removed then the camera will definitely lose the ability to auto focus (although some people say this isn't the case?). I checked with the eBay vendor and he confirmed that the in-built filter has been completely removed and no glass / filter replacement has been put back in place, which if my understanding is correct is what is required to retain auto focus. However, the camera seems to be auto focusing fine as far as I can tell.
      How can this be?
      Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.