Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

You can't image in a storm!

old_eyes

Clear Outside was showing several clear hours for imaging tonight, and indeed there are big clear patches between the clouds. Unfortunately, the remains of hurricane Ophelia are busy trying to rip up all the trees around here :hmh: Rats!!

Only a stiff breeze here though it did blow a bit earlier. Having a go at The Pacman in [OIII]. May try to get a bit more [NII] and HII later.

The wind looks to have blown a lot of the clag away.

Speaking as someone who built their obsy walls higher with the intension of imaging in windy conditions I would say yes (within reason).
Living over the road from a beach in west wales pretty much means I have wind (or at least a good breeze) all year round, its very rare to get a completly calm night.

If the wind is below about 10MPH then I have no issue in imaging, upto maybe 15MPH for solar,lunar and planetary. For me the more important factor is the direction it is coming from.

11 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

I was going to post something similar, do you bother observing when windy or just stay away. 

We get so few clear nights, I don't let a little wind bother me. At least for visual. But this is nasty. Really rattling the slates.

Just now, old_eyes said:

10mph maybe, but it is whipping around something fierce at the moment. I would be fearful for my gear. Couldn't even hold a Dob steady.

In current conditions, not a chance.  My biggest fear would be my roof coming of its runnings and ending up in next doors garden.
65-70MPH Gusts here so I know the feeling, the obsy is on lockdown for now.

My Neq6 is only carrying a WO star71 so the wind isn't much bother for me. Although o do have the box containing my laptop secured down with slabs of concrete.

My guiding seems to be holding up well too. Here's a screenshot from my phone running team viewer.

Screenshot_20171016-215217.png

17 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

My guiding seems to be holding up well too. Here's a screenshot from my phone running team viewer.

Ahhhh....So that's what they are meant to look like! I'm afraid my guiding graphs look nothing like that! :embarrassed: Those are amazing results considering, 2 junctions down the M4 we still have 25mph gusts and cloud 2/10s.

John

I was hoping the winds would have calmed down by now but nope. Met Office still saying 25mph with gusts of 45mph. As Dyfiastro said, is too windy to roll the roof off. I too would hate to see the roof go missing. It stays tied down until the wind has gone. 

The tress around here are all bending over with the force of the wind. I feel sorry for anyone north west of me tonight. Must be terrible there.

12 hours ago, geordie85 said:

My Neq6 is only carrying a WO star71 so the wind isn't much bother for me. Although o do have the box containing my laptop secured down with slabs of concrete.

Screenshot_20171016-215217.png

Ouch! My guiding is not that good even under ideal conditions. Got to get on with that planned observatory

I actually got 2 hours of oxygen data last night and I've put the result in Imaging > Deep Sky. At least the stars are fairly tight.

The joy of direct drive and encoder guiding, the mount can correct wind gusts in real time. No need to worry about guide graphs or loosing a star as a cloud comes through.

Archived