Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any thoughts regarding Helios LightQuest vs Opticron WP Observation 16x80s

I have recently replaced my Helios Apollo 15x70s by a second-hand pair of Opticron WP Observation 16x80. Whilst I really like the build quality, light weight, and optical performance in general, I do struggle slightly with them in one way: the maximum IPD seems to be a tiny shade too small: 72mm, whereas I have an IPD variously measured by the optician as 72.5 to 73mm. I was thinking of replacing them with the new Helios LightQuest HR 16x80, which have a slightly smaller FOV (4.1 vs 4.3 deg) but larger maximum IPD (74mm). The weight is the same, and the eye relief (20mm) should be OK, even after subtracting the 3mm recess of the eye lens. I am not sure how they compare optically otherwise. From Steve Tonkin's report on the 20x80s, I gather they have F/4 objectives, which might be faster than the Opticrons. I am curious whether anyone has made a head to head comparison of the Opticrons (or Vixen ARK) to the Helios LightQuest bins.

yes I would mind owning any one, both are nice binos, but because I havnt tried them I carnt really tell you anything usefull. I have some 15x70 opticron entry leve binos and love the build and optics, I would love to try some others from there range. sorry, charl.

Archived