SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Weird orange sun 16/10/17

Moonshane

Nice... we had a situation where desert sand was blown high into the atmosphere about 10 years ago... give or take... and made everything orange...

I remember I was on a night shift and woke up about midday that day, the shutters were closed but there was a eerie red glow shining through the cracks.. i remember thinking "That's not right.." opened the shutters and was greeted with a apocalyptic sight... it went down on everything.... the white balance in the photos is correct even though it looks wrong....

Bad day for anyone who left their scope out for the night that previous night.

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

I noticed that the sun looked odd as I was packing up at Lucksall this morning. The colour was still reddish when I got home at 14:00.

Not quite as weird as @MarsG76 posted, those images make me think of War of The Worlds, which I was listening to driving home.

Ade

20171016_141205.jpg

20171016_141213.jpg

I took these here in North Somerset at 10:25 am and 11:50 am respectively. Around an hour after the 2nd one the clouds shifted northwards and we had a clear, warm and sunny afternoon. The 1st one looks a bit like a Martian scene ...... except for the tree ! :rolleyes2:

P1060726.JPG

P1060727.JPG

Odd I'm sure - but our weather-service here ran a story on your weird Sun. It's being caused by smoke in the air from wildfires in Portugal.

So there's your weather-report - from the USA! :D

Oh - it might also show the weather caused by Ophelia is pulling this smoke in your direction and giving this air-current direction in such a way as to put this abberation in your sky.

Dave

17 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Odd I'm sure - but our weather-service here ran a story on your weird Sun. It's being caused by smoke in the air from wildfires in Portugal.

So there's your weather-report - from the USA! :D

Oh - it might also show the weather caused by Ophelia is pulling this smoke in your direction and giving this air-current direction in such a way as to put this abberation in your sky.

Dave

As well as the wildfire smoke from the iberian peninsular I believe Ophelia picked up some north african sand as well. 

Archived