SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fed up

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BRUN said:

just got a Celestron Edge HD 8"

nice I got 20x80 celestron skymasters unfortunately I have dispraxia scopes confuse crap out of my head but I didn't give up I just use binoculars how long you done stargazing and what do you usally observe I do alot.of star mapping of cluster and stuff

9 minutes ago, BRUN said:

purely visual and not enough of it really, i get up early in the mornings so have to be in bed early aswell :(

lol that's exactly what I do 3am I'm up ready to go on Orion do you know.much about iota orionis need some help

22 hours ago, alhiggs said:

lol that's exactly what I do 3am I'm up ready to go on Orion do you know.much about iota orionis need some help

Anything in particular you are looking for with this?

Sigma orionis is the one to search for, one of my favourite multiple star systems

50 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Anything in particular you are looking for with this?

Sigma orionis is the one to search for, one of my favourite multiple star systems

yes to right slightly of iota orionis is a star that I have watched move over several hours  it is the one to bottom right of iota do you no anything bout stars m oveing around iota

Screenshot_2017-10-17-21-24-05.png

8 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

yes to right slightly of iota orionis is a star that I have watched move over several hours  it is the one to bottom right of iota do you no anything bout stars m oveing around iota

it appears to be this one: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_36959 and this one: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_36960

but can't find much out much else about it, sorry.

Fed up, well I got fed up withe the light pollution in my backyard plus my knees started to give up the ghost SO sold my observatory and all my astro gear. 3 years later still busting to observe i have gone SOLAR, white light and Ha, now they tell me the Sun is in a quiet spell grrrrrrrrrrrr 

Well I am fed up with the skies where I live in the suburbs of London.  I have to really look to see even the brightest stars (and know where they are).  The other evening I tried to do some imaging more as a test of kit, and when I came out mid evening, I thought it had clouded up as I didn't see any stars.  It's a bit much to have to get dark orientated in order to see things like Vega and Capella.  

I have a permanent set up which I used to use a lot when I first started, but the LP has got worse and worse that I hardly ever do imaging from home, I nearly always have to go to a dark site as even narrowband is still not great and often Oiii and Sii impossible.  Then people wonder why i am doing narrowband at a dark site, well it's the only time sometimes I can get it.  

I have an NEQ6 sitting on the pier in my obsy, and I take an HEQ5 to camps with me as I got fed up with having to keep polar aligning every time I get back from Astro camp.  I am now seriously thinking of selling the NEQ6 which is hardly ever getting used, and getting an HEQ5 adapter for the pier.  Now I have Polemaster PA will be a lot easier and I don't mind putting the mount on and off each time.  

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the clouds. 

Carole

It's not much better here. I do have slightly less LP than Carole, NELM 4.25 - ish but the weather is just as bad. I've several half-finished projects and others that I've had to"complete" with short data.

I just realised that what I have in my back garden costs about as much as my new kitchen did. Guess what gets the most use :cussing:.

33 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I have had 75 solar sessions and 45 night sessions this year so far. Maybe Manchester is not so bad after all.....??

lol better than ull how's weather up your end of britian saying that I did spot andromeda galaxy first time ever.this.morning.but was only a 1hr window

On 16/10/2017 at 15:05, Astro Imp said:

I haven't had a clear evening sky for at least the last two weeks, we seem to have a very local weather pattern. I wonder if my proximity to The Wash has much influence.

I think its more our proximity to the Atlantic. :clouds1::clouds2:

John

On 16/10/2017 at 06:31, Chefgage said:

I seem to be getting more and more sunny days but cloudy nights. I am thinking of starting solar observing. That way in theory i should get more time at the eyepiece,  be it day time or night time viewing.

Might be worth considering. 

That was my logic, I probably do more solar than astro these days. More opportunity

On 17/10/2017 at 16:26, alhiggs said:

Certainly won't be a star moving, must be something else, perhaps a geostationary satellite. Not sure if there are any in that area?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Certainly won't be a star moving, must be something else, perhaps a geostationary satellite. Not sure if there are any in that area?

it ain't satellite could it be a planet of some sort

9 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

it ain't satellite could it be a planet of some sort

There is no planet there. What makes you say it is not a satellite? Could be an asteroid but I can't see one listed there either. What time and date was it?

Plenty of geostationary sats around but below Iota Orionis and they all seem to be around Mag 17.7 or dimmer, so unlikely to be visible except by imaging. They also move at a faster rate.

IMG_4333.PNG

IMG_4335.PNG

I've taken a rather novel approach. My love of sciences helped me to no longer allow clouds, rain, snow, etc. - to depress me. Instead it encouraged me to study meteorology. So in nasty-for-astronomy weather, I flick a mental switch in my head and become an aspiring meteorologist. In other words - I make what had annoyed and depressed me into something positive. So, it's a win-win situation.

As if a night with no weather is forecast, we have a far more serious problem than the clouds obstructing our view. :p

Enjoy!

Dave

59e7f2cd15c14_LenticularCloudsOverMt.Rainier.jpg.9b529be33b21ae3f12ee91da1653cc71.jpg

Lenticular Clouds over Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Area

Try reading up on the objects you will be going for when it is clear. There's a lot more enjoyment to be had knowing about what you're looking at.

Another good idea is practising setting up and taking down your gear and looking for improvements to make it easier/faster. I've got my set up times much quicker than when I started. If there's any opportunity going I'm ready!

Archived