Narrowband

Eye Pieces you would like to try out

I've been slowly building up a set of SLV's (for the second time) as I really like the quality of view and eye relief. Having said this I'm missing wider FOV eyepieces when using my Dob. I'm thinking I'd either like to keep the SLV's and switch to a decent setup that tracks objects, or switch to wider angle eyepieces. 

Can't justify Pentax and the like, so thinking of trying the SW SWA 70* EP's considering the price they're currently at.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/sky-watcher-swa-70-eyepieces.html

They are a strange looking EP, I think Celestron used to make something similar looking.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Having said this I'm missing wider FOV eyepieces when using my Dob.  

If you don't mind ~15mm e.r., the Lunt HDC offer great views. I own the 20mm and is certainly a keeper. The weight is also low, so you should not have serious balancing issues. I'd keep a 1.25" set though. 1.25" eyepieces can always be handy, especially with small refractors. 

Lunt HDC at APM-telescopes:  http://www.apm-telescopes.de/index.html?key=lunt hdc&lang=en&desc=false&anzahl=20&manu=0&cat=0  

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Can't justify Pentax and the like, so thinking of trying the SW SWA 70* EP's considering the price they're currently at.

They are a strange looking EP, I think Celestron used to make something similar looking.

My wild guess is that it's more likely get disappointed than exited about those, except maybe how inexpensive they're by weight/price standard.:D

9 minutes ago, YKSE said:

My wild guess is that it's more likely get disappointed than exited about those, except maybe how inexpensive they're by weight/price standard.:D

I had these - These were actually very good eyepieces for all objects: DSOs, lunar and planetary!  I sold them because they're no good for fast scopes so when I got my dob I bought in to Televue... :p

42 minutes ago, YKSE said:

I tend to favour slow scopes for visual, such as my f/8 Dob, so maybe they would be ok if I'm accepting of a bit of scatter and glare?

2 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I tend to favour slow scopes for visual, such as my f/8 Dob, so maybe they would be ok if I'm accepting of a bit of scatter and glare?

Yes, I would think so. Then there're many more as good or better choices for much less weight, at same or lower costs.:smiley:

5 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Yes, I would think so. Then there're many more as good or better choices for much less weight, at same or lower costs.:smiley:

In a 70 degree EP with 20mm ER? Are you thinking of Erfles like the WO Swan?

4 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I did mainly DSO viewing with my C8 with these at f/6.3. Although Jupiter / Saturn and especially the Moon were occasionally observed when available.  Very good optically and no glare that I experienced with this setup.  At f/10 handled up to 400x on occasion with the 5mm (very rare) but mostly 254x being very good with the 8mm.

Just now, Davesellars said:

I did mainly DSO viewing with my C8 with these at f/6.3. Although Jupiter / Saturn and especially the Moon were occasionally observed when available.  Very good optically and no glare that I experienced with this setup.  At f/10 handled up to 400x on occasion with the 5mm (very rare) but mostly 254x being very good with the 8mm.

That sounds good to me, thanks. I'm tempted by the 13mm for globs and PN's etc.

3 hours ago, Piero said:

I'd say that the main reason why I don't feel the need of other eyepieces is because of the zooms I own. At high power in particular, they just do the job, and they do it very well! :)

Now that is just a wind up! After buying a zoom a while back and  returning it (unfortunately)  because it was faulty,  zooms had just about  dropped off my radar. Now, well maybe ...?

10 minutes ago, Lockie said:

That sounds good to me, thanks. I'm tempted by the 13mm for globs and PN's etc.

Another option is to go second hand for the same price or around that.  Kind of wish I did that to start with!  I'd recommend the ES82 11mm although may be pushing it on eye relief if you wear glasses.

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

Now that is just a wind up! After buying a zoom a while back and  returning it (unfortunately)  because it was faulty,  zooms had just about  dropped off my radar. Now, well maybe ...?

:hiding:    

The zooms that I have work well, but to me they become real weapons when combined with a good barlow. I often combine the Zeiss zoom with the VIP barlow (1.76x + baader adapter attached to the zoom.. ~2.23x), and the Nikon zoom MC1 with the Zeiss barlow (2.86x). Not cheap combos, but they give some of the best sights I've ever had, qualitatively speaking. 

I'm not into binoviewing, but a few people regularly use a pair of (adapted) Nikon zooms with their binos. 

I'm following this thread with interest and also the thread on 'Vixen LVW 42mm vs Panoptic 41mm'. I own a preowned old (pre Edge) C14 which I use mostly for planetary imaging, though I'm also experimenting with some DSO imaging (phew that's a challenge, but I'm up for it). I do use it for some visual, but not enough and one of the challenges is its very narrow FOV, so I'm tempted to see how it performs with wider FOV eyepieces, but OMG the prices of some of those is frightening. The only widefield eyepiece that I own is the cheap and cheerful Meade Super Plossl 40mm, which was fine for star hoping with my former 10" Meade LX200, but with aFOV=52 its fairly restricted.

Using Stellarium I've modelled the following eyepieces with my native C14, so I have an idea what the FOV will be

• TV Panoptic 41mm (aFOV 68)
  • TV Plossl 55mm (aFOV 50)
  • the much cheaper SW SVA 32mm (aFOV 70)

The reviews for the SW SVA 32 mm says it suffers from coma and asigmatism, so propably no better than using my existing Meade 40mm.

So if there is anyone out there with experience of visual using a wide field eyepiece in a C14 or similar sized SCT, then I'd love to hear your opinion/advice.

Many thanks in advance, Geof

1 hour ago, Tubby Bear said:

Docter UWA 12.5 mm

They have a bit of a cult following and i'd love to try a pair for bino-viewing.

Same for the RKE 28s.

The Docter is a great eyepiece. :) 

It's a medium-medium/heavy weight Champion though! Personally, I wouldn't use a pair for binoviewing because of the eyepiece weight. Some people do though: :)

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/387859-kowa-highlander-new-eyepieces-in-the-pipeline/#entry4970448  

8 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Antares HD ortho in 12.5 and 18mm if they did them, im sure they must have seeing as they are same as BGO

They did do a 12.5mm Jules, I had one at the same time you bought yours from me?.

Never seen an 18mm though.

Dave

3 hours ago, Lockie said:

I've been slowly building up a set of SLV's (for the second time) as I really like the quality of view and eye relief. Having said this I'm missing wider FOV eyepieces when using my Dob. I'm thinking I'd either like to keep the SLV's and switch to a decent setup that tracks objects, or switch to wider angle eyepieces. 

Hi Chris

These look awfully like the Celestron Ultima LX range. I had a couple a few years back and they weren't bad at all in F8 or slower scopes.

I think you can still find new old stock of some sizes for around £70 or £80 apiece.

HTH ?

Dave

25 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Another option is to go second hand for the same price or around that.  Kind of wish I did that to start with!  I'd recommend the ES82 11mm although may be pushing it on eye relief if you wear glasses.

Thanks for the thought. I do often buy second hand, it's just when stuff doesn't come up often second hand or a new product is reduced I do otherwise (I'm a sucker for the sales!). Used to own some nice glass too in the form of ES100*'s. Tried the 82* on a couple of occasions but as said the ER is just too tight for me, even if I take my glasses off for observing. The ES 68*'s and great too!  

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Chris

These look awfully like the Celestron Ultima LX range. I had a couple a few years back and they weren't bad at all in F8 or slower scopes.

I think you can still find new old stock of some sizes for around £70 or £80 apiece.

HTH ?

Dave

Ah! Thanks Dave, that the name I was trying to think of! I'll look into that thanks! :) 

I'm stealing the focus of the thread so must stop now :grin:

2 minutes ago, John said:

I tested 3 of the Skywatcher SWA 70's a while back. Here is my report for anyone who missed it:

Continuing off topic here.  I have 3 of the AT AF70 versions.  The 22mm is great out to about 95% of the way to the edge and then only gets a little astigmatic.  The 17mm starts with astigmatism and chromatic aberrations around 80% out.  The 13mm, about  75% of the way to the edge.  None have field curvature.  If you can find the 22mm, get it.  It lives in my A-team case side by side with Panoptics, Pentaxes, and Naglers.  The 13mm and 17mm live in my B-team case for decent outreach eyepieces.

17 minutes ago, John said:

I tested 3 of the Skywatcher SWA 70's a while back. Here is my report for anyone who missed it:

Thanks John, a very useful review, especially as I have been considering the 32mm and from what you say maybe that would play reasonable well with my F11 C14.

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

(I'm a sucker for the sales!).

Tracking every buy&sell might be of some help? I have every items in one excel of different spreadsheets. Easy enough for me to see the costs related buy&sell actions.:smiley:

2 hours ago, John said:

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Continuing off topic here.  I have 3 of the AT AF70 versions.  The 22mm is great out to about 95% of the way to the edge and then only gets a little astigmatic.  The 17mm starts with astigmatism and chromatic aberrations around 80% out.  The 13mm, about  75% of the way to the edge.  None have field curvature.  If you can find the 22mm, get it.  It lives in my A-team case side by side with Panoptics, Pentaxes, and Naglers.  The 13mm and 17mm live in my B-team case for decent outreach eyepieces.

Now they're just £64, it's very tempting. The 22mm and 17mm are out of stock at FLO, word must have got out, Louis. 

Archived