SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eye Pieces you would like to try out

I am sure everyone wants at least one eye piece that is in their mental ep case, but not physical collection. I have several.

So which eye pieces, new or old, that you don't own, but woluld like to, would you like to try out, either to satisfy your curiosity or to help a purchasing decision.

My not-so humble list is; 31 Nagler 5, 21 Ethos, 17 Delos, 41 Panoptic, 40 ES, 30 XW, 40 XW, Powermate x2 2 inch, 13 Ethos, ES 17mm 92 degree.  For now!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to try the ES 92's as well. I held them yesterday at the astro show and they are big heavy so and so's but look really inviting.

The Docter 12.5mm and the Nikon NAV HW's are also on my list plus any Zeiss ZAO's and Pentax XO's that I happen to come across (fat chance !).

The trouble is that just one try won't be enough so I need to have these on loan for a couple of months to really assess them and compare them with what I have now. Hard to achieve I reckon :rolleyes2:

1 minute ago, Tim said:

I'd like to try the 41mm panoptic, but not entirely sure I have a suitable scope.

If you can come to the SGL star party sometime I may be able to help you with your list :)

I would be going this year but domestic needs keep me at home.

17 minutes ago, 25585 said:

John did they have the ES 9mm 120 degree ep there? I did not include it as too short eye relief of 12mm, but the price!!!!

They might have but it didn't catch my eye. I've owned and used 110 degree eyepieces and found those were my limit, possibly a bit too much even so I'm not sure that 120 degrees would suit me that well :icon_scratch:

By the way, I did ask the Vixen rep if the LVW range was really discontinued and he confirmed that it was. He could not shed any light on a direct replacement and directed me to the SSW's so I took the opportunity to suggest that they were not really filling the wide angle / long eye relief niche in the way that the LVW's had.

I don't feel the need or desire to look through other eyepieces. I just wish to have more time and clear nights to observe with my current set, which is already more than what I need.

Aside from the crazy price, I am not attracted by the orthos (ZAOII, XO) or supermonocentric routes because I don't get on with eye reliefs smaller than 10mm.

Of course this is just me, and I totally understand a few people would really like to!

All the 100°'s ever made. I already own the 3.5mm and 5mm Myriad, the 9mm is on its way (I'll review them all when the last arrives); I'd like to do a universal comparo of all the brands and models.

TS makes four focal lengths with only 6 lenses to achieve the 100° (the SWA series), that makes me deeply curious. I assume they use several aspheric curves, because how else? 6 lenses are the usual number in 60°'s, some 68°-70°'s, and a few long focal length 82°'s, but 100° through six elements only baffles me.

Add the 30mm Leitz 88 (both normal and long versions), Meade 14mm UWA 4000 smoothy, 25mm Masuyama 65, 28mm Pretoria, 40mm Rodenstock, 35mm Baader SCOPOS Extreme, and APM 18mm and 30mm UF off the top of my head.  Mostly these are for satisfying curiosity since each was widely touted as being terrific at one time for one reason or another.  The last two simply because there is so little written about them.

For instance, how much different would the Meade 14mm be from my 14mm Morpheus?  The Meade is reputed to be only 78 degrees while I've measured my Morpheus at 78 degrees.  That, and which has more usable eye relief?  The Leitz to compare to a 30mm ES-82 (and to a Terminagler if I had access to one).  The Rodenstock to compare to a home built 40mm Erfle and 40mm Meade SWA 5000.  The SCOPOS to compare to some of the above (and to a 35mm Panoptic if I had access to one), and the Masuyama and Pretoria just for the heck of it.

I'd like to look through the ES 92 6.5mm, 8.8mm and 22mm - only slight issue is that they haven't been released yet. ? I think the 92 12mm and 17mm are fantastic eyepieces, prefer them to my ethos. The extra eye relief makes a significant difference for me.

Pentax XW40

leica zoom eyepiece vario 8.9 - 17.8 mm asph

Nikon NAV's

Pentax XO's

Zeiss ZAO's

Supermonocentric's

Pentax SMC's

Zeiss CZJ's

Brandon's

Masuyama's  (original ones)

Meade 14mm UWA

At the moment I am happy with the collection in the eyepiece case which has been built up. Consisting mainly of a nagler or two, a few pentax XW and the collection of BGO and a few Tv plossl binoviewing doubles. I find this collection suits my needs and requirements in both the Dob and frac.

Probably the only eyepieces that may improve on what I have already and the margin of improvement may be to my eyes not worth the considerable expence to aquire would be the following. I would like to try the higher magnification of ZAO the Tmb Supermono , pentax smc and always fancied try out the clave , all these would be for planetary and lunar. Just to see if the vast cost increase over my existing eyepiece would really show a increase in sharpness and  detail that would tempt me to possibly purchase. 

First, I'd like to look through my own more!

I'd be interested to see what a Leica zoom is like.

It would be fun to look through some Lederman LOA 3D EPs in a Denk BV.

I'd be curious to experience what a photomultiplier EP can show - even though I prefer to see the actual photons with my own eyes after catching them with my mirror.

I'd like to compare Delos/XWs to my Ethos EPs, just to experience the differences :)

I’d like to try the Delos range in medium to high powers.  I’ve never been near an Ethos so that would be interesting. 

Ive got a 6mm Fujiyama ortho coming in the post and am very keen to view some doubles and planets with it.  Not tried an ortho yet and was very curious.

A zoom would be great to try out.

In no particular order..

Tak new TOE high power range - I believe the Hi -LE replacement, as the latter are not on the new Tak price list. They will have to go some to beat the old Hi-LE's.

Vixen's new HR range of 2.4mm, 2.00 and 1.6mm - mainly to see what that view would look like at such high powers. They look to be of fabulous build quality though, and get good reviews from Bill P. I'd love to see them offer 3, 4 and 5mm versions too.

XW 30 and 40mm, the 30 in particular now commanding silly prices.

Vixen LVW 42mm. I love LVWs, I still think they are superb both optically and build wise. The 42 would go nicely with my 13mm and 22mm (which for me are the pick of the bunch).

Morpheus 17.5mm..that never was (at least so far). This would be perfect sandwiched between my 13 and 22m LVWs. Having owned the 14mm Morpheus I know how good these are, but judging by the repeated delays in launching the 17.5 version I suspect they are pushing the design to the very limit with that one.

A few eyepieces from the 1850's, to put them up against some modern ones to see how they would acquit themselves..

Dave

On 15/10/2017 at 23:40, Piero said:

I just wish to have more time and clear nights to observe with my current set, which is already more than what I need.

Absolutely! That said, out of curiosity, I'd still like to have a play with a decent zoom, even though I've got more than enough EPs to cover my current needs.

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

Absolutely! That said, out of curiosity, I'd still like to have a play with a decent zoom, even though I've got more than enough EPs to cover my current needs.

I'd say that the main reason why I don't feel the need of other eyepieces is because of the zooms I own. At high power in particular, they just do the job, and they do it very well! :)

For a long time I've read about the Leica ASPH zoom and wanted to try it. I have one in my eyepiece case now and a VIP barlow so this Autumn and Winter I'm going to "see for myself" as they say :smiley:

Archived