Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New puppy naming challenge

Peco4321

14 hours ago, iPeace said:

That's exactly what my inspiration was for suggesting that name. If any dog should be remembered, surely...

:grommit::happy11:

Of course, I don't think any dog lover from that era will forget Laika.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, congratulations on the new member of the family, may she have a long happy healthy life  and be a joy to all. Naming a pup is a lovely responsibility and it does weigh heavy trying to get it right, not helped by the fact that you don't have the luxury of waiting for the character to emerge. Calling a pup Draco or Orion to find he was a bit timid could be awkward, any way he's a she in this case!  We had a lovely girl called Cassie after  Cassiopeia and she did often have something of a regal bearing about her, so perhaps dogs grow into their names! Looking through my astro' books I came across "Mira" (omicron Ceti) which sounds nice as i think you pronounce it Myra. An interesting red giant variable with a very small binary companion, so I've learned something in the process too.

6 minutes ago, Macavity said:

I read that DIDO means "wanderer" so perhaps not

Interestingly Mira supposedly means (from latin?) "wonderful", "astonishing". In my experience a pups ability to be wonderful and/or astonishing is dependent on what time of the day or night the behaviour occurs! Still, could be much worse. Dido is a pretty name though!

We named our dog Penelope, after the wife of Ulysses. I always liked the name Persephone. She was the wife of Hades, and daughter of Zeus.

Persephone is distinctive and rhythmic. A dog should respond well to it. It's difficult sometimes to find a good name, you want it to fit the dog's personality. Penelope fits our dog well. (She's a Pit Bull/ Boxer mix)

Our girl Labradoodle was called Jess (or Jessica when she's in the dog house). Then a young lady called Jess (Jessica when she's in the dog house!) moved into our lives and the dog had to be renamed. So now she's known a Doodle or The Doodle or Doodleburger. Calling "Doodleburger!" gets the strangest looks out and about :)

On that basis I think dogs respond to any name so long as your intonation is on their wavelength.

My Black Labrador I got for my Wild Fowling days, which I have to say were 
not many in number. 
Got him as Puppy, 10 weeks old. A friend brought him into the Pup I frequented regularly, like  6 night a week
and weekends. Used to think I would be missing something If I missed a day. Played a lot of Darts, and Snooker.
Anyway, I took the Pup home that night. in a Cardboard Box, and and as I'd forgotten my door key, had to knock on the front door.
When the Wife opened the door, she enquired a to what the box was for, and thinking on my feet, told her I'd won some groceries in 
the Pup Friday Night Drawing.   I got well established in the house, before I came clean, and showed her what was really in the box.
Suffice to say I suffered a lot of abuse that night, in a voice I'd never heard from her before.
However, she came around as time went on, and became very fond of him. 
We were having a struggle finding a name for him, but we settled on Sambo, a name that wouldn't sit well in today's PC world, (and I don't 
mean the IT Superstore).  
The dog grew quickly, and became a celebrity amongst the school children who passed our house on their way to School, which was only a few hundred
yards up the road from our Home. In fact, he often followed them to school, and was regularly returned to us by
one of the kids, saying dogs weren't allowed in the Classrooms. He was so friendly, even the shop owners gave him treats.
One weekend I took my two kids to a play area close to Carlisle Castle, and of course the dog went too. He would wander around on his own 
introducing himself to anyone he saw. Then he got a bit too near the equipment the children were using, and fearing a possible collision with the dog,
I called his name, "Sambo, Come here" , a chap very close by stopped and looked at me, he was a coloured chap in Railway Gear, and obviously finished his shift.
I immediately explained that my Dog's name was Sambo, and I was not being disrespectful to him. He simply said that's OK, he's a fine looking dog,
and his name suits him, and  this with a huge smile on his face. He proceeded on his way..
I remember Sambo with so much affection, and I'm filling up with emotion now just relating this very true story.
Sambo was never really Ill, but He died suddenly in the house aged 18 years. I was at the table in the dining room, having my lunch, 
when he got out of his bed walked over to me, and a sixth sense told me he wasn't right. I kneeled down and cradled his head, and he just passed away.
I've never ever experienced such sadness, my son came home from work, and was utterly grief stricken, as were my Daughter and Wife of course.
I buried Sambo in the Back Garden, and I still feel his presence now, he's an ever present memory, and our neighbours we still have from those day's
often recall some of his antics.  

Her's a Pic. My son wrapped a Carlisle United scarf around him, 
and stuck his Bay City Rollers  Cap on his head.

Sambo.jpg

I named my black, long haired, GSD 'Bramble' - I haven't had the chance to name many of my dogs as the rescue ones often come with their own names, but I bought Bramble as a puppy, my bro bought his litter brother and somewhat conventionally called him Sam.  We currently have two rescued GSD's called Storm and Ruby and are quite convinced that they are mother and daughter.

Archived