SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Might as well start the ball rolling......

Tim

Yes I know its carp...... BUT! This has to be the most expensive photo I have ever taken, considering what it cost me (see astro lounge post).

And, you can blame Martin B, if he hadn't mentioned M42 in the POW thread, it wouldn't have crossed my mind :D (although I did post a widefield of Orion about 6 weeks ago)

At any rate, at least I got to get an idea of how much Ha data the modded camera will grab when pointed at M42, and the answer is.........LOADS! I think maybe too much, all the other colours were swamped by redness. So would it be better to use the non modded one for M42???

Cheers

TJ

8512_large.jpeg

EDIT: Just had another go with the proper stacked file this time.... still carp, but less carp.

8519_large.jpeg

Yeh, but if you'd seen how many times I desaturated this little thing to get rid of the red! M42 is so bright, I'm not sure how much there is to gain by using a modded camera. maybe a wider FOV will be different for the extremities I suppose. HOPEFULLY I'll find out next week, i'm going to Kelling this Sunday. :D

TJ

Yes please if you have the sapce to host it somewhere...

I find ukastonomers needs several attemps when uplaoding tiffs?

Anyone else get problems?

I usually get description is a required field errors even though I have put the info in...

Also the progrees bar reaches the end ages before the upload completes....observations not criticisms...

Billy...

i'll RAR it up and whack it on UKA then. Give it 10 mins or so. But trust me when I say, it is REALLY bad. Unless you want an individual exposure?

EDIT: Hmm, just noticed that I used the DSS 16bit version rather than the 32bit autosave file. I'm just having a muck round with it, so give me a lil more time plz.

Hey TJ.......

Wait another couple of weeks and then have another crack at M42, it still maybe too low in the sky to grab any decent images for it at the moment......Hopefully your results will improve dramatically once it is higher up in the sky, and having your camera modded will become all the more worthwhile......

Mark

tj,

the orion nebula is actually full of ha emission. I cant for the life of me figure out why you would want to throw away photons. Fair enough from an aesthetic POV, but scientists are making larger scopes and more sensitive cameras so we can image fainter things.

if you want to see more blue, which i agree looks good, use an O[iII] or Hb filter.

the unfortunate thing is that the ha emission swamps all others, so an RGB image will always look red.

You can compensate for this by using narrowband filters, and donating more time to the other (non Ha) wavelengths

Paul

You got there first alright TJ. Caused you a bit of hassle though ain't it?.

Not to worry, The big Neb. will get a great deal of attenton as it climbs toward the meridian at a suitable time. I will bet my pensions the image you turn out then will look nothing like this first one.

I might even have a bet on you getting POTW with an M42. :mrgreen:

Ron. :D

tj,

i forgot that your image was taken low on the horizon. This explains the redness...photons travelling through the atmosphere are subject to rayleigh scattering. This has a strong dependance on wavelength (L^-4), so reds come through a thick atmosphere well, and blue goes anywhere but straight through. Once orion gets higher more blue will get through.

Although the major cause of redness is sensitivity to Ha (656nm)

Archived