Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher dual speed focuser

Hi everyone, 

This is my first post - I am a beginner in this hobby, although I've been interested in all the shiny things 'up there' since I was small and always wanted (but never got) a scope. 

Anyway fast forward to 2017 and I recently got my first scope (Skywatcher 200PDS with the dual speed focuser) and a used mount (NEQ6). I have a question that i know will be obvious to anyone who's used a scope before... 

Can someone tell me what the small knob is that is circled in this pic? Is it a tensioner (if so how should I adjust it) or simply a focus lock? 

And why is this too obvious to be mentioned in the manual that came with the scope? :-) 

Thank you to anyone who can help and I look forward to being a member of the forum. 

Rick 

focuser.png

I asked about that thumbscrew before, for visual, I had the suggestion to simply remove it from the focuser and store it.

Very great focuser too with the precise dual speed, I love it. I could not accept anything else with less precision now.

Skywatcher gets their dual-focus Crayford's from GSO, which makes many different sizes and types for different telescopes. And that is indeed a lock-bolt for the focuser. This feature is also found on my GSO Crayford that fits my ST80 F/5 Refractor:

59e29be64e03b_CrayfordTension-Boltb.thumb.JPG.cc3ea44d55894d5874397a09d3ba0b02.JPG

These are excellent focuser, by the way. It should last a lifetime. I love mine so well, I outfitted 4 of my telescopes with these. Never looked back!

Enjoy!

Dave

On my AT72ED, the knob is the focus lock and the center of the five screws as shown in this image is the tension screw.  The focus lock can be useful visually when using a heavy eyepiece or binoviewer in the focuser to help the tension screw hold focus.  You want to set tension as low as possible for normal loads to maintain smooth focuser movement with a light touch.

22 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Skywatcher gets their dual-focus Crayford's from GSO, which makes many different sizes and types for different telescopes. And that is indeed a lock-bolt for the focuser. This feature is also found on my GSO Crayford that fits my ST80 F/5 Refractor:

59e29be64e03b_CrayfordTension-Boltb.thumb.JPG.cc3ea44d55894d5874397a09d3ba0b02.JPG

These are excellent focuser, by the way. It should last a lifetime. I love mine so well, I outfitted 4 of my telescopes with these. Never looked back!

Enjoy!

Dave

Interesting feature on your model, the slow motion wheel is bigger, this must be convenient while observing.

I'd been wondering about that nut itself - I'd spotted that if I accidentally tweaked it the focus unit stopped working until I loosened it again, but I didn't guess that it had a practical purpose :iamwithstupid:I had noted that heavy objects cause problems on the focus unit, but I didn't think to deploy the nut to help!

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 23:22, Dave In Vermont said:

You can do the same with anything. One person uses the lid off a Skippy Peanut Butter jar

So if I increase the diameter of the adjustment nut - I can get finer control?  That's not a bad idea - I could trial something with some blue tack - sounds a bit cheaper than the Lacerta dual speed upgrade

50 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

The one thing they can't do is provide an instruction manual. Ah well - but now you understand!

You'll love the improvements. These are great focusers - but Shhhh! They'll raise the prices!

I am in possession of a tame brother with a lathe and a workshop...............I wonder..............

• 2 weeks later...

You know that tame brother and a workshop..........well provide him with an £8 billet of aluminium from the popular auction site and 24hrs later this appears:

IMG_4113a.jpg

IMG_4112a.jpg

It only adapts the single speed focus unit, but should give me more control that I have.

Archived