Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stephan's Quintet with CPC 1100

cfpendock

This is work in progress of what I found to be a fiendishly difficult target, and unfortunately it shows: I need to get a lot more cleaner data…..  I excuse myself on the basis that the weather has not been helpful, the seeing was awful, and there was lots of light pollution.  I also always find the star control very difficult with the CPC, despite very careful collimation.  In this case there also seems to be some blotchiness of the background, almost certainly due to bad processing.  Any comments welcome, but I do need better skies, and I'm not sure when they will appear....

35 x 5 minutes Lum - binned  2x2
12 x 5minutes each of RGB - all binned 2x2

De-forked CPC1100 on EM 200 mount
Atik 4000

chris

Stephan1.png.f2bb3a0836a81d94f1b133b0d3bc9b56.png

You are too hard on yourself.  This is at F10 (I think) and is amazingly good.  Yes, as you collect more data and replace the not so good with the better the image will crystallize.  But as it is it is a great image, so well done!  I have yet to shoot at F10 with the C11Edge--but I want to.  I am getting into galaxy mode, so maybe this Winter.

Rodd

21 hours ago, Rodd said:

I have yet to shoot at F10 with the C11Edge

Thanks for your kind comments, Rodd.  Yes, shooting at 2800mm focal length is sometimes desirable to get the details of the smaller stuff, although F10 means lots of time, which I haven't yet found the skies for.... It will be interesting for me to see how you cope with the stars on your C11 - I never find them so tight as with a refractor.

Chris

19 hours ago, Lockie said:

that's quite a lot of detail for the quintet

Thanks Chris.  Yes, as I said to Rodd above, I find that the longer focal length (2800mm) is necessary for the detail, at least compared to my other scope at only 530mm FL.

Chris

2 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

Thanks for your kind comments, Rodd.  Yes, shooting at 2800mm focal length is sometimes desirable to get the details of the smaller stuff, although F10 means lots of time, which I haven't yet found the skies for.... It will be interesting for me to see how you cope with the stars on your C11 - I never find them so tight as with a refractor.

Chris

The Edge scopes are pretty refractor like.  Check out my M51 to teh left (where my identification is).  that was shot at F1,960 with the C11Edge.  The stars are pretty tight. (just click on it to get to my page and click again)

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

The stars are pretty tight.

That really is a pretty outstanding image, Rodd.  I guess it's down to processing skills, although do I detect a little bit of sharpening on those stars?  They seem to have a rather "hard" edge.  But don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to produce an image like that...

Chris

Just now, cfpendock said:

That really is a pretty outstanding image, Rodd.  I guess it's down to processing skills, although do I detect a little bit of sharpening on those stars?  They seem to have a rather "hard" edge.  But don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to produce an image like that...

Chris

No..you are absolutely right.  Thank you for the compliment but the image does have its problems.  The galaxy itself is pretty decent, but the stars and background need work.  The data as compromised a bit by ghosting as somehow the RI preflash setting got turned on and I did not realize it.  I saw the result and could not for the life of me figure out why there was a band of light across the top and bottom of the subs.  I was able to process it out (it took ALLOT of effort).  But I am generally pretty amazed with the stars in my subs with the C11Edge.  I get good guiding and that helps.  They may not be as nice as teh stars I get with the TOA 130, but I have never complained about them either.

Rodd

Archived