SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

7331 and stephan's

alacant

Hi everyone. This was a 'Is it doable at 1200mm?' session. It's quite small and the 18x4min snaps make it noisy. It maybe worth adding a few more frames. Or am I flogging a dead newt?

Thanks for looking and clear skies.

steph.thumb.jpg.ed90e2761cef373414d6b593cd6dec41.jpg

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone. This was an 'Is it doable at 1200mm?' session. It's quite small and the 18x4min snaps make it noisy. It maybe worth adding a few more frames. Or am I flogging a dead newt?

Thanks for looking and clear skies.

It's certainly doable, you're definitely not flogging a dead newt. But if you keep at it, you can beat the noise out of it. On my mobile device, it looks like there's either faint dust lurking in the background, or the background is slightly uneven. More data may determine what it is.

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

what did you centre your frame on?

Hi. In CDC, overlay your FOV and copy the RA and DEC where you want the centre to be, paste the same coordinates into APT, now hit goto++ in APT.  Here's the plate solve. HTH.

ct.JPG.047f91a4e6e72be838f60b36553333b6.JPG

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. In CDC, overlay your FOV and copy the RA and DEC where you want the centre to be, paste the same coordinates into APT, now hit goto++ in APT.  Here's the plate solve. HTH.

ct.JPG.047f91a4e6e72be838f60b36553333b6.JPG

Fantastic. Thanks. 

Hi again. This is with another 18 snaps added. Now over 2h30m. I'm almost convinced than more exposures makes for a better image. It's certainly easier to process without having to jump through hoops fighting the noise. It also reveals detail that wasn't forthcoming with the shorter exposure. Maybe it needs a bit of unsharp mask? Thanks for your patience.

7331-2.thumb.jpg.ebd09986754d30608cd504482c82263e.jpg

Archived