Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Trip to a Dark Site

If all goes to plan, tonight should be my first trip to a dark site. I’ve got a list of a few targets in my mind. They’re all targets I’ve not been able to see from home or only very faintly. M51, M101, M33, Veil, NAN, Crescent Nebula and Helix Nebula. 

Any tips or advice for traveling to a dark site? It’s about 20 miles in each direction so I want to be well prepared. Also open to suggestions for others targets to try. I think more than anything I’m hoping to see spiral arms on a galaxy. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So - two top tips

set everything up you need, check it all works and then pack it all straight up into the boxes and in the car - that way you'll know you have everything required.

Wrap up warmer than you think you need, when you're at home you can just nip indoors for a cuppa.

Tell someone where you are going, when you are going and when you will likely be back.

Flask with hot drink and something to eat.

Create a list of everything you need and double check it before you leave. Nothing worse than a trip out being ruined because you forgot EP eyepiece case etc.

Take more layers of clothing than you think you will ever need.

Hows that for a starter for 10 ?

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you get on. If I can, I sometimes like to take a short nap and then freshen up prior to setting off. As others have stated, take layers, food and a flask and when you arrive, try to block off all internal car lights. It is a good idea to begin by returning to targets that you have some familiarity with. A good chance for seeing structure perhaps such as M33 and the Andromeda galaxy group will be much brighter, expansive, wait until you have become fully dark adapted and have observed a few other objects before hand. Hope you enjoy being out there underneath the Milky Way, if it goes well, it can become additive.

Layers.... Pffff. Get a decent jacket! Hard to get in the UK. Once I bought what I consider to be late autumn jacket and the salesperson, with all seriousness, asked if I'm going to Arctic... Lots of thin synthetic layers won't beat a decent jacket. And won't be as comfortable.

keep your feet warm - that was the thing used to end my night. And dew control - that has also cut a session short.

20 minutes isn't too bad, but when you've driven for over an hour to get there... I like to spend at least as long as the return journey observing when I travel.

1 hour ago, Erla said:

Layers.... Pffff. Get a decent jacket! Hard to get in the UK. Once I bought what I consider to be late autumn jacket and the salesperson, with all seriousness, asked if I'm going to Arctic... Lots of thin synthetic layers won't beat a decent jacket. And won't be as comfortable.

Don't quite follow your reasoning, why can you not get a suitable jacket in the UK particularly required for this type of activity? Appropriate base layers, mid layer and a suitable warm jacket (i.e such as down filled) that will also block out wind is preferable (and comfortable) in regulating body temperature determined by the conditions, to a heavy (potentially over hot) 'decent' jacket.  

You answered your own question - if you need layers upon layers of items under a jacket - that's not a very good jacket. I have a bathroom gown made from camel wool, really thick one, that I used to spent more than an hour outside at subzero temperatures (reading stargazers launge in my balcony while having a very long cigarette break) on numerous occasions. Sitting on an iron chair. Now that's a jacket :D one layer.

About "over hot" - there's a saying where I'm from - warmth doesn't break bones. :D you can always unzip a bit.

Actually you can get a very good jackets that are light (lighter than multiple layers) and comfortable (more comfortable than multiple layers) in the UK too. I have one made by Iceberg. But they are not easy to find on a regular high street.

Someone mentioned feet - very wise words! I would expand on that and say legs. Biggest muscles in the body are located there and can radiate a lot of heat - look at the baboon! I find motorcyclist's undergarment under jeans does the job nicely. 

Yep and then there were, still are motor cycle jackets Belstaff's, combine with a Harris tweed or Norwegian wool sweater and your core is good for anything sweeping in from the North. Thin layers will trap warm air in-between, just a different approach, both will work and I would welcome some artic air this winter. 

If particularly cold, I will wear a merino wool long sleeve base layer, perhaps over a short sleeve initial layer. A mid layer garment usually synthetic with a half zip, an outer fleece jacket, then most importantly the outer shell, to be insulating from wind and generate warmth, a down filled smock as used by winter climbers. I wear wind bloc mountaineering salopettes over long johns or an insulating alternative. Wind bloc gloves, a balaclava and fleece or down filled beanie hat. For my feet, winter or ski merino wool socks and walking boots potentially leather. For when observing in a relatively high and exposed location in the depths of winter in North East England, this system works well.   

A bloody good star chart Be prepared when you first go to a dark site you will be overwhelmed by the amount of stars you will see, you will probably struggle to even make out  the basic constellations! If you plan properly in advance though you will see some fantastic sights!

10 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Tell someone where you are going, when you are going and when you will likely be back.

Flask with hot drink and something to eat.

Create a list of everything you need and double check it before you leave. Nothing worse than a trip out being ruined because you forgot EP eyepiece case etc.

Take more layers of clothing than you think you will ever need.

Hows that for a starter for 10 ?

Good advice Ian and don't forget yer towel, well for camping anyway :evil62:

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks for all the advice. Leaving home now with plenty of warm clothes, snacks, flask of tea and most importantly my scope and eyepiece case. Clear skies right now. Just hope it stays that way! 

1 hour ago, elliot said:

Are you thinking of Newcastle?

1 hour ago, domstar said:

@scarp15 when I saw your location, I just imagined you'd do all your observing in short sleeves.:happy7:

Look forward to your report Neil.

A night out in Newcastle is probably quite well known for under dressing whatever the time of year and bracing conditions. Going for a night out observing takes me North towards the Scottish borders, no chance for short sleeve shirts and shorts by late August.

Back home. Was a superb night. Just put 5 pages worth of notes into my observing diary. Only regrets are not bringing a chair and welly boots. Had to walk across a field of wet grass and got wet socks. Fortunately I’d followed advice and had a pair of warm socks packed in my bag to change into!

Thanks again for all the advice. Much appreciated. I’l endeavour to write up a report tomorrow :D 

I shall be interested to know where you ended up.  Norwich is not a zillion miles from the coast - I regularly end up in Lowestoft so am quite familiar with your local area - I wonder if you went to the coast somewhere.

20 minutes ago, JOC said:

I shall be interested to know where you ended up.  Norwich is not a zillion miles from the coast - I regularly end up in Lowestoft so am quite familiar with your local area - I wonder if you went to the coast somewhere.

I actually headed inland and went to the observatory at Breckland. Although I have easier access to the coast from my house. Is there anywhere you go to observe out that way? We were in Lowestoft just a couple of weeks ago :) 

Strangely, and slightly worryingly, one of my first waking thoughts this morning was to wonder how you got on. I've got a decent sight a few minutes walk away but it suddenly occurred to me that I could take the plunge too tonight. My friend lives in a village and we're going to a field a small drive from his house. It's dark early now and I don't think I could tempt him out in cold weather so please please please let us have clear skies.

Any galaxy better than Bode's? Any glob better than M13? Any open cluster better than the double and the wild duck? Anything target-wise I might have forgotten?(It's a greatest hits night and I'd like to keep difficult star hopping and teasing out subtle detail to a minimum)

Thanks for the motivation.

Dominic

Archived