SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Next step up from Star discovery?

nightfisher

Having got to rather like AZ goto mounts, if i wanted to upgrade from my star discovery to a, more sturdy AZ goto what should i look for, i guess a celestron 8se mount would be better, but i dont think you can buy this on its own any more and yes cost is a factor here

A fellow SGL member was selling one in perfect condition if your looking for a good second hand option.

mount and tripod,  no ota. Very reasonable price.

I have found the link but not sure how to copy using my tablet.  I'm sure it's still up for sale but it's in expired forum.

Celestron Evolution mount and tripod (not the OTA)

By Filroden, April 17 in Sold / Expired Classified Ads 

Yes, a thorny one that, where does one go after such a mount? I've got a Nexstar SE mount which I bought when they were available, and I don't think I paid more than 400 quid for it. I haven't done a comparison, but I suspect the Nexstar is no better at tracking than the Star Discovery, though its load capacity is rather higher. The EVO mount has a different drive system I believe and I get the impression is rather better than the Nexstar, but it comes at a price. In order to upgrade from my Nexstar I thought it was a step too far, to be honest, but each to their own. And as Fozzie said, you might as well got for the AZ EQ5, which at least gives one a choice of moving on to an EQ mount if it takes your fancy. Otherwise, how about a TTS-160 Panther ;). Sorry, you did say money was no object, didn't you?

Ian

just some filing on the az adjustment, where the screw adjustment on the northside is you know where the plate with the 2 hex bolts are that holding the adjustment bolt take the plate off and file the flat bit behind to allow it to be moved into AZ and the south side theres a lump witch stops it going into a AZ position file the lump off and you can setup as a AZ. took me 30min to do mine with a flat file. charl.

41 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Haven't heard of that Charl. Any details?

heres a qwick pic in az mode. . just realized it isn't flat the book self is stopping it, is at 80 deg but it will go 90deg

DSC02204.thumb.JPG.93cb631c2c74c632954d1bfb6ec5ade0.JPG

heres one of the bits I had to file.

DSC02205.thumb.JPG.fb5c280e034f7425ed1b80b78f22b791.JPG

ian you have me thinking now, ive one of them minds that once a thought has been seeded I need to find out :happy7:, its a good point and in the interest of science need to be investigated. the mount still works fine in EQ mode it take just a few min to switch back and forth. clear skys.  charl.

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

If i go with an upgrade might have to be the EQ3 goto at £400

Not sure it would be that much more stable then your current mount? How much is the goto upgrade kit for your EQ5? maybe an option?

3 hours ago, nightfisher said:

If i go with an upgrade might have to be the EQ3 goto at £400

I upgraded to an EQ3 pro from my star discovery, It has the same payload limit at 5KG . With the aluminum tripod set at minimum hight quite stable, with extended legs quite a bit less stable. fine for visual but will need to be set at lowest hight for AP.

Still I'm very happy with it and it guides well enough for 6 minute exposures most of the time.

The stainless steel EQ5 tripod will fit the EQ3 mount but then I would go with an EQ5 for a bigger payload.

Nige.

Archived