SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

On 13/10/2017 at 13:10, Adam J said:

You will want a good mount, 

within your budget a second hand HEQ5 pro is the very best bet. 

I would then match that with a 130PDS scope and badder coma corrector. 

Add a cheap dslr (unless you already have one) and you are away. 

This is exactly how I did it and I have no regrets at all about my selections. 

On 17/10/2017 at 09:37, Spaced Out said:

I'll second this !

I'll third that! 
Wife bought me the setup in my sig for Christmas. As I already had a DSLR I thought I could jump straight into astro-photography so I started to look into it and quickly realised the £1k budget I set myself wouldn't really cut the mustard. Time for plan b. 
Most of my budget - £776 - is set aside for a new mount in a week or so once FLO have them in stock. That will keep me busy for a while learning the art of tracking, stacking & editing with all the software that's used. From there I'll upgrade slowly. Refractor, camera, etc. 
Baby steps for me as I don't want to blow £1k on equipment and have no idea what to do with it! :icon_biggrin: 

Good luck with it and clear skies! :happy7:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what telescope do i use for deep sky astrophotography

Simple answer - the one you have got. Ignore all claims that various scopes, cameras, mounts are unsuitable for astrophotography. You can do something with anything, even a DSLR with a standard lens (widefield) or a cheap webcam and any long focal length scope (planets, the moon) will give you results without a tracking mount.

Before spending $$$$££££ have ago with what you have. The best question is 'I have XXX what sort of targets can I photograph?'

Get some experience and experiment accepting you won't get 'hubble like' results at first. With a bit of experience and the thrill of getting pictures 99%v of the human race would think were impossible to get without a spacecraft you will be in a better position to ask questions/decide what you really want to achieve and from their it is much easier to decide what upgrade an get you there with the least pain (financial or otherwise).

I' not much more than a starter in this field myself. 

I had a SW200P for 12 years then eventually got a Canon 650d. Then I realised I didn' have a clue :-(

After numerous times and ready to give up I decided to get a much better mount.

I acuired through ESP an NEQ6PRO mount. Things certainly stepped up a notch.

After studying these brilliant forums for some time I got an Orion Starshoot Autoguider.

Although things aren' exactly what I'm looking for (its a huge huge learning curve) here are some of the things I am imaging.

Good luck clear skies :-)

20180116_230032.jpg

Archived