Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

alhiggs

Orion mystery

alhiggs    42

ok imagine your looking at Orion nebula directly below is a bright star but slightly to right of that star is a fainter that seems to be moving around would this observation be possible with 20x80 binoculars 

Edited by alhiggs
put wrong direction in

johnfosteruk    5,483

What kind of distance and frequency of movement? If it’s moving through the field, one side to the other it’s a satellite. If not then greater minds than mine are required!

Dave In Vermont    4,639

A good satellite-tracking program can help determine if it's a satellite & which satellite. PreviSat is my favorite by far - FREE!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

It doesn't list all the satellites up there - maybe 60% - as the rest are 'CLASSIFIED.'

Go figure,

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
sp.
  • Like 1

alhiggs    42

the star sorry I didn't word question right it's not saterlite over several hours star appears to move round another star but knowing orion it probaly a binary star

Hayduke27    51
12 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

A good satellite-tracking program can help determine if it's a satellite & which satellite. PreviSat is my favorite by far - FREE!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

It doesn't list all the satellites up there - maybe 60% - as the rest are 'CLASSIFIED.'

Go figure,

Dave

@Dave In Vermont you always have the insight into the goodies.  I am going to download this!

Edited by Hayduke27
  • Like 1

Dave In Vermont    4,639
5 hours ago, Hayduke27 said:

Dave, you always have the insight into the goodies.  I am going to download this!

Such is why I maintain what I call (accurately) 'The Miles O' Files.' I read an interview with some people who design all sorts of useful software-programs. They were asked why they were giving it away free. They explained that if they sold it, then someone would come along and manage to steal it and sell it themselves - and engage in a pricing-war with the actual writers. So as to defeat would-be criminal jerks who'd rip it off - they give it away freely. Money can be made in other ways which can't be stolen. Such as allowing ads on their download sites, etc.

This is why I say 'The best stuff is free!' :p

Have fun -

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
sp.
  • Like 1