Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

alhiggs

amateur lunar pictures

alhiggs    42

taken through 20x80 celestron binoculars and with Samsung j5 mobile phone these are a couple of my pics let me know what you think any tips would be apreciated as like I said I'm only amateur thanks and by way you may notice files are called screen shot I had to screen shot them so could get decent images 

20171012_014026.png

20170929_215856.png

Screenshot_2017-09-09-05-05-12.png

Screenshot_2017-09-18-19-15-08.png

• Like 4

Stu    14,455

Very nice shots, not easy at all through binoculars. I assume you had them mounted on a tripod for these?

Controlling focus and exposure is tricky, there are some phone apps available which make things easier. I use one called ProCam 4 for iOS but there will be similar ones for Android.

Check out my light hearted phone imaging thread here for some examples and tips.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/282996-the-inaugural-stupod-winner-announced/?tab=comments#comment-3097056

• Thanks 1

alhiggs    42

yes manfrotto tripod cost me £50 but worth it took me ages to get right set up on camera lol I like the thin moon pic first time I seen moon like that awesome 

• Like 1

Stu    14,455

I just had a play around with this on my phone, a little more detail visible I think.

IMG_4138.JPG

Stu    14,455
9 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

yes manfrotto tripod cost me £50 but worth it took me ages to get right set up on camera lol I like the thin moon pic first time I seen moon like that awesome 

Yes, very nice crescent. Do you know which star you captured above it? Could even have been Venus I guess?

alhiggs    42

Venus just up to right of this star regulus aprons to mind this pic show moon star and Venus all in where they where posistioned

Screenshot_2017-09-18-06-21-56.png

• Like 2

Azelfafage    15

Yes, nice pics.

That's an impressive crescent shot and I like the first one best of all - the Moon really does look cheeselike :icon_biggrin:

Incidentally, gives the lie to those who say you can't take worthwhile images with such modest equipment, which I've heard often repeated online and in books.

A

alhiggs    42

thank you for comments guys and yeah it does prove you don't nweed exspensive equipment to take good pics 

RichM63    3,249

Any picture/image that gives pleasure to the 'picture taker' is a good picture in my book.

• Like 3

alhiggs    42

exactly is very satisfying when you spend along time trying to get right pic and you do eventually lol

Dave In Vermont    4,639

That Crescent Moon shot is aesthetically fantastic!

It captures the imagination - as well as the eye - suggesting that it was drawn rather than imaged though a machine. An eerie landscape like some horror~mystery by someone along the lines of H.P. Lovecraft in the 1890's. And it would make a fantastic cover-photo on a novel of such a work.

I find it utterly brilliant - even though (or perhaps especially though) it wasn't exactly what you thought you had in mind at the time!

Thank you!

Dave

hp-lovegraft-copy.thumb.jpg.0c64d2c0ee157cb7929297281111a776.jpg

H.P. Lovecraft

• Thanks 1

alhiggs    42
1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

That Crescent Moon shot is aesthetically fantastic!

It captures the imagination - as well as the eye - suggesting that it was drawn rather than imaged though a machine. An eerie landscape like some horror~mystery by someone along the lines of H.P. Lovecraft in the 1890's. And it would make a fantastic cover-photo on a novel of such a work.

I find it utterly brilliant - even though (or perhaps especially though) it wasn't exactly what you thought you had in mind at the time!

Thank you!

Dave

hp-lovegraft-copy.thumb.jpg.0c64d2c0ee157cb7929297281111a776.jpg

H.P. Lovecraft

thanks for that Dave was nice to see positive reviews unfortunately 3 years ago when i started stargazing people said i was stupid and wouldn't do good at it this is a middle finger at them lol

• Haha 1