Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
clarkpm4242

Binocular session in Swaledale

The clouds finally cleared at about 22:00 BST leaving a clear and dark rain washed sky for a short time prior to moonrise last night.

A bit windy so grabbed the 15x50 IS Canon binoculars.  Set the screen dimmer app. on phone and used Sky Safari (night mode) to help navigate to the trickier objects without significantly impacting dark adaptation.

I found that I could stand just outside the (upper storey) door at the back and get some shelter from the wind and a nearby streetlight.

The Milk Way was nicely featured, NA nebula obvious naked eye.  Andromeda had good visible dust lanes through the bins.  M110 and M32 noted.  M33 definitely had a swirl going on, a promising start!  A Pacman haze, M52 with bright star and Caroline’s cluster (really outstanding tonight).

Copious nebulosity and dust patches around the body of the Swan, the Eastern Veil and Pickering’s Triangle were featured in the bins!

M13, naked eye and lovely in the bins.  M92.  M57, ‘a star’. M56, usually disappointing showed up well.  M27, more a rugby ball than apple core.  M71, diffuse.

Barnard’s ‘E’ a nice dark contrast.  Numerous areas of dark, dust detail.

Quick sweep of M101, M81 & 82.  Not ideally positioned.  I always like the contrasting shapes of 81 and 82, they are so ‘close’.

NGC 6934 mag 8.8 globular in Delphinus was discernibly a non-stellar fuzzy.  The big globulars M2 and M15 were nice and clear.

A couple of tricky galaxies to finish, M74 – a circular haze, and finally NGC 7331 – about mag 9.5, panning up from the two ‘doubles’ NW of the Square of Pegasus, another ‘double’ then a couple of minor asterisms that I recognise from observing Stephan’s Quintet.  7331 – a vertical ellipse of a smudge.

A few hazy spots of cloud and the moonrise brought an end to a fantastic little session.  I went to bed a very happy and revitalised bunny!

Cheers

Paul  EDIT  Forgot the Firework Galaxy Ngc 6946 and nearby open cluster Ngc 6939 in Cepheus...always a nice tick in the bins and of obviously different character to view.

Edited by clarkpm4242
Additional objects...
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Great report Paul - M13 naked eye is a dark sky ! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Wonderful read Paul. You picked out some great objects there, and to bag Ngc6934 takes some doing.

Wow, excellent report Paul. Having had a pair, I know how good those 15x50IS binos are for sweeping the skies like that.

Your skies must be very dark to see those features in binos, very envious! Sounds like a lovely, relaxing and successful session!

Thank you...

...Forgot the Firework Galaxy Ngc 6946 and nearby open cluster Ngc 6939 in Cepheus...always a nice tick in the bins and of obviously different character to view.

@Owmuchonomy the road from Keld to Tan Hill (West Stonesdale) has some spots to pull in.   Remote....

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

I can quite appreciate that your location in Swaledale commands very dark skies Paul, particularly after that rain washed sky. Enjoyable report to inspire binocular astronomy, some incredible naked eye objects.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

rain washed sky

This does make a huge difference doesn't it? A clear night after rain is often amazingly transparent.

• Like 2

Great report. Yes, it sounds like you have a fabulous, dark sky! Must remember to pull out the bins on my evening bimbles...

• Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 10:36, clarkpm4242 said:

Thank you...

...Forgot the Firework Galaxy Ngc 6946 and nearby open cluster Ngc 6939 in Cepheus...always a nice tick in the bins and of obviously different character to view.

@Owmuchonomy the road from Keld to Tan Hill (West Stonesdale) has some spots to pull in.   Remote....

Cheers

Paul

I finally made it up there last night.  Ripon - Masham - Leyburn - Hawes.  Stopped for a cuppa and checked out the sky. A bit darker than my garden to the West and North, but the South was poor.  Lot of overspill light there.  Naked eye Andromeda was a larger object than at home.  Then a HUGE fireball from Perseus to UM. Wow that was lucky.  I purposely did not bring any gear other than my eyes and pocket bins.  Set off up Buttertubs to Keld and then to Stonesdale Moor.  As you say plenty of good pull off spots.  Spent some time gaining night vision and then stepped out into the FREEZING wind.  M13 naked eye, Uranus naked eye so Mag 5.7 skies.  Best Cygnus rift I have ever seen I think but the South below Pisces was still quite bright.  Orion rising was clear.  I may have snagged the California with the bins but not sure I could define it properly. It was too cold in the strong N wind.  I will come back with more kit next time.  I headed over Tan Hill and of course as soon as you do that the sky is orange with Teeside.  Thanks for the tip off, I'll be back.  Have you observed in Arkengarthdale?

• Like 2

@Owmuchonomy excellent effort!!!

I don't think that you'll get any more if you try Arkengarthdale.  SQM from my garden is 21.4 on the best nights ... so I don't travel over the hill (3 miles).

As you have noticed, if you get too high you expose yourself to more LP.  Try to keep a litte down in a dale and use the hills to hid LP.

Hope for a lighter wind next time!

Cheers

Paul