SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Crawley, West Sussex.

Klacey

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Kevin from land down under

To meet others in your area who share the joy of astronomy, rock up to your local astronomy club

Club members happy to show you their set-up, prior to rushing out and buying something, you might later regret

Cheers

John 

6 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome Kevin from land down under

To meet others in your area who share the joy of astronomy, rock up to your local astronomy club

Club members happy to show you their set-up, prior to rushing out and buying something, you might later regret

Cheers

John 

Thanks John,  I have actually found a club just down the road from me which is awesome. Looking at others set up is a must for me. Not the cheapest hobby to enter into. Lol

32 minutes ago, Sky-J said:

Hello Kevin, 

I'm new around here too and not far from your part of the world, nice to meet you!

It's a fantastic hobby and one you can take all over the world with you! 

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, welcome to you to mate. Do you have any recommendations for viewing? 

I plan in the future to go see the northern lights and take advantage of the dark sky's in Norway. One day.

1 hour ago, Klacey said:

Hi Jeremy, welcome to you to mate. Do you have any recommendations for viewing? 

I plan in the future to go see the northern lights and take advantage of the dark sky's in Norway. One day.

I'd love to go to Norway too, it's definitely on my list. I spent an amazing 2 weeks at a pretty isolated spot on the south of Crete this summer and the skies were amazing! Looking south, the views of Scorpio, Sagittarius and into the centre of Milkyway were jaw-dropping. I spent a large percentage of my time using binoculars to soak it all in.

Which reminds me, if you dad's getting binoculars to look at the night sky, a great book to go along with that (and one I always have to hand) is: 

Binocular Highlights: 99 Celestial Sights for Binocular Users by Gary Seronik
Clear Skies
Jeremy

29 minutes ago, Sky-J said:

I'd love to go to Norway too, it's definitely on my list. I spent an amazing 2 weeks at a pretty isolated spot on the south of Crete this summer and the skies were amazing! Looking south, the views of Scorpio, Sagittarius and into the centre of Milkyway were jaw-dropping. I spent a large percentage of my time using binoculars to soak it all in.

Which reminds me, if you dad's getting binoculars to look at the night sky, a great book to go along with that (and one I always have to hand) is: 

Binocular Highlights: 99 Celestial Sights for Binocular Users by Gary Seronik
Clear Skies
Jeremy

Awesome thanks Jeremy, I will be sure to pass the info on to my dad.

I have Greece is a great location to get some incredible shots. Some many locations I would love to visit. Might need to make a bucket list. Lol

Cheers mate

Hi and welcome.

I live down the road from you in Redhill. The Light Pollution is pretty bad isn't it? What with Gatwick, London and the surrounding towns its little wonder that there is anything visible.

I started on visual and progressed to AstroPhotgraphy. Take some heart that AP is possible in the area and a number of other SGL members in the area manage to get some very decent results. Further ahead in your AP journey will be Narrowband which cuts through alot of the Light Pollution.
Just be prepared to have your bank account emptied...:icon_biggrin:

There is another Astronomy club nearby in Horsham which maybe of interest:

http://www.horshamastronomy.co.uk/

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Hi and welcome.

I live down the road from you in Redhill. The Light Pollution is pretty bad isn't it? What with Gatwick, London and the surrounding towns its little wonder that there is anything visible.

I started on visual and progressed to AstroPhotgraphy. Take some heart that AP is possible in the area and a number of other SGL members in the area manage to get some very decent results. Further ahead in your AP journey will be Narrowband which cuts through alot of the Light Pollution.
Just be prepared to have your bank account emptied...:icon_biggrin:

There is another Astronomy club nearby in Horsham which maybe of interest:

http://www.horshamastronomy.co.uk/

Good luck!

Many thanks Droogie. Light pollution has to be my biggest problem in getting good results. With time, I hope to visit areas with dark sites and get those Milky Way shots. I don't drive which will mean public transport to get around and travel light.

cheers

Hello again, Kevin,

I'm back in UK now for a few weeks and just picked up my messages from this site:

http://gostargazing.co.uk/

You might like to subscribe as they will send you regular information on stargazing events near you.  The Seven Sisters AS have an open evening near Haywards Heath this Saturday, for example, from what looks like a very rural site on what promises to be a clear night.  Much closer than Iping!  It seems to me, looking at recent Gostargazing posts, there is a great deal going on around you which will help you along quite rapidly.  Best wishes.

Peter

On 19/10/2017 at 09:35, Relpet said:

Hello again, Kevin,

I'm back in UK now for a few weeks and just picked up my messages from this site:

http://gostargazing.co.uk/

You might like to subscribe as they will send you regular information on stargazing events near you.  The Seven Sisters AS have an open evening near Haywards Heath this Saturday, for example, from what looks like a very rural site on what promises to be a clear night.  Much closer than Iping!  It seems to me, looking at recent Gostargazing posts, there is a great deal going on around you which will help you along quite rapidly.  Best wishes.

Peter

Peter thank you so much for this. I can see me going to multiple events in the coming months. I'm desperate to get out of the light pollution hell that is Crawley. lol

The next thing you have to get away from, Kevin, is the English weather!  So much for the clear sky forecast for tonight. You have to grab your chances where and when you can, but every now and again - when that chance comes - you'll find your eyes widen in wonder.

Best wishes

Peter

On 22/10/2017 at 00:12, Relpet said:

The next thing you have to get away from, Kevin, is the English weather!  So much for the clear sky forecast for tonight. You have to grab your chances where and when you can, but every now and again - when that chance comes - you'll find your eyes widen in wonder.

Best wishes

Peter

Not wrong Peter, it's rather cloudy at the moment. Got a few nice pics of the moon last night. Well good for what I have available to shoot with.

Archived