Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Klacey

Hello from Crawley, West Sussex.

Recommended Posts

Klacey    4

Hello everyone, my name is Kevin and just got into astrophotography. I started aiming my camera skywards last week.

As I live in crawley the light pollution is very bad and hope to visit some dark sky areas like devils dyke. Would like to meet some like minded people to do some group shoots.

I'm currently using a Sony A6300. Hoping to invest in a telescope in the near future.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ronl    700

Hi Kevin and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy your time with us, 

lots of really talented imagers here, I am sure if you need answers

they will be more than happy to help.

Clear Sky's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
54 minutes ago, ronl said:

Hi Kevin and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy your time with us, 

lots of really talented imagers here, I am sure if you need answers

they will be more than happy to help.

Clear Sky's.

Thanks for the welcome. As a beginner i'm sure i will be asking plenty of questions.

I have always been a huge fan of the universe, never thought for a minute we could look out for ourselves. 

It looks like a very rewarding hobbie

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
54 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

welcome Kevin in alex and I'm from hull I got celestron 20x80 binoculars

Thanks Alex for the welcome. My dad is thinking of getting some binoculars, will tell him to look at celestron. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alhiggs    42

make sure  binoculars are waterproof and stuff and one big tip stay away from Amazon as when i ordered from them stuff always broken try eBay alot better if I can help with your dad with binoculars give me a shout bud

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
45 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

make sure  binoculars are waterproof and stuff and one big tip stay away from Amazon as when i ordered from them stuff always broken try eBay alot better if I can help with your dad with binoculars give me a shout bud

Appreciate that Alex thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Relpet    280

Hello, Kevin,

I do most of my observing  in France as my home in England suffers much the same ghastly light pollution as you.  Gatwick, Crawley, Guildford, Horsham, Dorking pour a ring of bright light into the skies around our village in Surrey where, ironically, we don't have a single street lamp.  Never-ending road traffic and late night flights into and out of Gatwick don't help either.

You might find the lights from Brighton and Worthing quite bothersome even from Devil's Dyke.  A little bit further from you is a dark sky site in the South Downs National Park at Midhurst.  If Devil's Dyke turns out to be too bright you could take a look at Midhurst.  There are also a number of astronomical societies in your area, including one in Crawley founded by Patrick Moore.  Guildford AS has occasional open evenings at Newlands Corner, which is pretty good, and (I think) Ewell AS meets frequently at Ranmore Common outside Dorking.  You can meet people there who will help you with imaging, I'm sure.  I've never had bad advice from anyone in SGL, or any fellow astronomer I've ever met.  Good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave In Vermont    4,639

Greetings and welcome to SGL, Kevin -it's good to have you aboard!

We love questions and helping to find answers, so feel free with yours in all of these many forums.

Starry Skies,

Dave - in pretty dark Vermont.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
9 hours ago, Relpet said:

Hello, Kevin,

I do most of my observing  in France as my home in England suffers much the same ghastly light pollution as you.  Gatwick, Crawley, Guildford, Horsham, Dorking pour a ring of bright light into the skies around our village in Surrey where, ironically, we don't have a single street lamp.  Never-ending road traffic and late night flights into and out of Gatwick don't help either.

You might find the lights from Brighton and Worthing quite bothersome even from Devil's Dyke.  A little bit further from you is a dark sky site in the South Downs National Park at Midhurst.  If Devil's Dyke turns out to be too bright you could take a look at Midhurst.  There are also a number of astronomical societies in your area, including one in Crawley founded by Patrick Moore.  Guildford AS has occasional open evenings at Newlands Corner, which is pretty good, and (I think) Ewell AS meets frequently at Ranmore Common outside Dorking.  You can meet people there who will help you with imaging, I'm sure.  I've never had bad advice from anyone in SGL, or any fellow astronomer I've ever met.  Good luck.

Thank you, this is some very good info. The light pollution is very bad in my neck of the woods for sure. I will be trying devils dyke within the next month, just as a trial run. As a beginner I'm just looking to get some particle in before moving to more high quality images. I looked at possibly going to Iping on the south downs, make a weekend of it.

 

Thanks again for the info and welcome, appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings and welcome to SGL, Kevin -it's good to have you aboard!

We love questions and helping to find answers, so feel free with yours in all of these many forums.

Starry Skies,

Dave - in pretty dark Vermont.

Thanks very much Dave, happy to be here mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Relpet    280
15 hours ago, Klacey said:

 I looked at possibly going to Iping on the south downs, make a weekend of it.

 

 

Hello again, Kevin,

If you were planning to go to Iping in early December the South Downs AS meets in Chichester on Friday 1st December when there is a talk on a subject that might interest you.  More info here:

http://www.southdownsas.org.uk/index.htm

It's just an example of what help is available, though it would be another 30 minutes drive from Crawley, probably.  Whatever you choose to do I would advise you to immerse yourself as deeply as you can in the benefit of advice from experienced observers.  They can help guide you through the potential minefield of expensive mistakes.  And as Dave and others have implied, there's no such thing as a stupid question.  Don't be too shy to ask for advice; it can be a very steep learning curve but SGL is blessed with any number of good, informed and willing teachers.

Peter

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Klacey    4
11 hours ago, Relpet said:

Hello again, Kevin,

If you were planning to go to Iping in early December the South Downs AS meets in Chichester on Friday 1st December when there is a talk on a subject that might interest you.  More info here:

http://www.southdownsas.org.uk/index.htm

It's just an example of what help is available, though it would be another 30 minutes drive from Crawley, probably.  Whatever you choose to do I would advise you to immerse yourself as deeply as you can in the benefit of advice from experienced observers.  They can help guide you through the potential minefield of expensive mistakes.  And as Dave and others have implied, there's no such thing as a stupid question.  Don't be too shy to ask for advice; it can be a very steep learning curve but SGL is blessed with any number of good, informed and willing teachers.

Peter

Thank you Peter, December would work for me and could be a very interesting experience. I have a long way to go and may have jumped in at the deep end of photography, only just moved away from auto settings. I look forward to seeing y average looking picks to what i might be doing in a year with the help of guys like you.

Many thanks Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×