Narrowband

DIY Polemaster half the price

LightBucket

Hi all,

Saw this idea on here a while ago, and thought i would have a go, and works superbly, and works with the Polemaster Emulator software here:

https://wix443.wixsite.com/polemaster-emulator

You need the three items below, note the QHY5LII with the CS mount and not the slightly longer C mount...

The lens is available on ebay, link on the linked page above, and either a way to mount in the polar scope hole like the real polemaster or the mount shown below from modern astronomy, which i have used....

9544407A-CF29-4BBB-9282-DEF559F9BAF5.png

E0C6380E-484D-49A0-92EB-C85C408981E0.png

9BC9A219-9E59-4EE5-B99A-E6B542957354.jpeg

Just now, John78 said:

Or you can use your 50mm finder/guider and sharpcap and spend £10 ;)

Very true, but this was for all the people who may want the actual polemaster and be prepared to spend £278 and they can have the same for around half the price, even less if they can find a secondhand QHY5LII...

Where can i get a QHY5LII for £10 that would be useful to know.. :) £10 for sharpcap as long as you already have a suitable camera...

But thanks for your input... :)

2 minutes ago, John78 said:

Oooh there's new PHD??  Does this mean I can upgrade and break something that's working - I looove that :) hehe, I've never been able to sit still.

Tell me about it... I think it's a tinkerers mentality and amateur and pro Astro folk are tinkerers and problem solvers (sometimes solve the problems we create in the first place... I took off my corrector plate tonight, didn't need to but hey, curiosity huh...

Hmmm still got my old QHY5L II I did think about flogging it but after reading this I might keep hold of it, I wonder if there's a way to fit it to an NEQ6 like the original polemaster?

I've already got the lens etc & an adapter to fit it to the polarscope but I think it would be better fitted in front of it...

1 hour ago, tich said:

Hmmm still got my old QHY5L II I did think about flogging it but after reading this I might keep hold of it, I wonder if there's a way to fit it to an NEQ6 like the original polemaster?

I've already got the lens etc & an adapter to fit it to the polarscope but I think it would be better fitted in front of it...

Thats what i have been trying to figure out, how to fit like the origonal polemaster, so if you come up with a way let me know, i guess a 3D printer could come in useful for that... :)

I could easily print you an adapter to fit the EQ6 Tich.

It would simple to have the usb cable enter a port half way down the adapter before it attaches to the mount.

Conversely the camera can be mounted elsewhere, it does not need to be in the polar scope 'hole'. 

That's what I thought Tony as the EQ8's polemaster is fitted offset due to it not having a polarscope fitted. I think Justin got a polarscope for his & it fits to the side of the mount if I remember right.

15 minutes ago, Freff said:

I could easily print you an adapter to fit the EQ6 Tich.

It would simple to have the usb cable enter a port half way down the adapter before it attaches to the mount.

Conversely the camera can be mounted elsewhere, it does not need to be in the polar scope 'hole'. 

I would certainly be interested in an adapter if you could make one, and would pay for it....

Ideally it needs to be a tube that would fit tightly in the hole, with a slot in the side for the cable and set screws to hold the camera in place...sounds simple i know..:)

Nice one I look forward to seeing that in a few days then, I might have another job for you if you're interested, I'll bring the bits with me to show you :-)
I think we spoke about it last time we saw each other but without the mount etc it were hard to picture.

15 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I would certainly be interested in an adapter if you could make one, and would pay for it....

Ideally it needs to be a tube that would fit tightly in the hole, with a slot in the side for the cable and set screws to hold the camera in place...sounds simple i know..:)

If I make one and it's ok, I will let you know. As you say it should be simple enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I come up with a quick idea to mount the DIY polemaster, its pretty solid to be honest...the protruding screw head slots nicely in an unused mounting hole in the losmandy saddle so fits nice and flush, as this works i am going to now make an equivalent bracket from a solid bit of Ali plate and chamber the edges to fit the Losmandy saddle..

The single screw means it has to be checked for being perfectly aligned to the saddle then i will  fit a second screw into the bottom that will be countersunk and flush

Obviously this is done before mounting my scope, but as i will have a permanent set up on a pier this is not an issue and won’t need to be done very often.. :)

71F9A065-AEFC-4EC1-919F-2FF96640E651.jpeg

27744FEA-0401-46BE-BCBD-4AC1C7850332.jpeg

Archived