SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zero-Cost Observing Hood

cloudsweeper

I was looking at a thread here recently which mentioned the r-sky.org hood - about £27 I think - which is an excellent item for the job of blocking stray light and increasing contrast.

But I wondered if I could come up with something similar for less money.  In fact, no money at all.

The problem with draping a towel or T-shirt over your head is that they hang too close, so condensation ruins everything very quickly.  I needed a way to keep the old black T-shirt away from my face.

A plastic handle off an old bucket is ideal.  I used a rectangular-shaped one, but a semi-circular one would be as good.  I placed it inside the neck and shoulders of the shirt, and held it there by drilling a small hole in it through which it is fastened to the neck-loop with a twisty tie.  Nothing else - this allows the sides to fall downwards in use.  Finally, a small bulldog clip holds the tops of the sleeves together under the chin.

It works a treat, and can easily be adjusted forwards and backwards, since the weight of the back of the shirt keeps it on your head by friction.

Nothing is permanently fixed, so the shirt can simply be released for washing.

Doug.

P1050956.JPG

• 11 months later...

Hi, 

I have completly different idea against to not needed light during the observation. I'm looking for a kind of long skirt made of any thick and dark material to fasten that around inlet of my 10" Newt and finaly hide my head (or even more) there like photografers in 19th century. I think that should eliminate more the light than the hood. 

Tomasz

How things evolve!  It was good at the time, but I now use this "outdoor gear" hood - much cheaper than a dedicated astro-hood, and it couldn't be more effective!  Note that wearing it "reversed" (looking out where the shoulders would normally be) is ideal, as it gives shielding further forward and low down at the sides.

Doug.

P1060511.JPG

Archived