Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Nyctimene    368
On 10.10.2017 at 15:22, Louis D said:

weight and bulk will play a major role in your choice of telescope.  A goto will require power.  That equals more weight and bulk to haul in.  If you want to pack light, I'd recommend something like the Skywatcher Heritage-130p Flextube.  That would leave you plenty of money for accessories like eyepieces, collimation tools, astro books/charts/planisphere, red flashlight, etc.  If you want to move up to something bigger, you'll always have it for camping trips when space is an issue.

On 10.10.2017 at 15:46, Louis D said:

the heritage 130p seems really convenient, but does it have a good quality for star seeing ? it looks really cheap...

I'll second Louis D; + 1 for the Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube. It's lightweight, compact, can later easily be fitted to an AltAz mount (e.g. the new Skywatcher AZ 5). The quality of the mechanics is decent, (the focuser slop can easily fixed with some PTFE plumber's tape, and thereafter works well), and the optical quality is really good. Have a read on some experiences here:

and here:

It would serve you later as an excellent grab-and-go scope or travelscope.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
Info added

Cosmic Geoff    210
1 hour ago, Golfox2 said:

Someone at a astro club I know suggests this one : https://www.astromanie.ch/fr/telescopes/246-sky-watcher-skyhawk-1145p-synscan-az-goto.html
Would it be good ? What would be pros and cons ?

This seems to have nothing at all in common with the 200mm Dob you wrote you were considering. As for the 1145p outfit, the mount is a popular GoTo mount, and GoTo is a very useful thing to have. But the telescope is a bit small for serious use.  If you want a Go o telescope of this sort, I would suggest looking at the versions with the 130mm Newtonian.

130mm resolve quite a lot of planetary and lunar detail but they are a little bit underpowered for the faint things (except globulars). 150mm are solid, 114mm are rather weak on all the targets. As the other advisors said, don't consider a 114mm if you had a 200mm in mind.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EllaHorbury
      Hi,
      I am completely new to this but am wanting to do some stargazing and astrophotography. i have a great interest particularly in the deep sky and am wondering what kind of telescope i should get in order to mainly view the deep sky but also one that if i wanted to i could view planets etc.
      there are low levels of light pollution in my area and i have a pretty good budget (around 1k) wanting a quality telescope that i will still own in years to come as i am wanting to go on to study this.
      i am currently looking at reflectors but was wondering if anyone thought that i was looking at the wrong type of telescope based on my preferences. if anyone has any recommendations i would love to hear them as i am not yet sure about well trusted brands etc.
      also for the astrophotographers out there what do you believe is an essentials kit for a beginner.
      Thanks 
    • By 25585
      Any recommendations or caveats for the Explore Scientific achromatic air spaced doublet? I am amazed at its seemingly low price for such an instrument! 
      What will and won't it do compared to other 150s?
    • By Astro Buer
      Hi all! 
      I'm looking for any recommendations for a good little refractor as a companion for my Star Adventurer for astrophotography. 
      Little (in weight) being the operative word given the 5kg payload capacity of the mount! 
      Currently I am shooting with an Sony A7S and guiding with an Orion Starshoot and Orion 50mm guide scope. So there's a little bit of weight on there already. 
      Looking at refractors with a focal length of 400-600mm which are proven performers for imaging. 
      So far contenders are:
      Stellarvue 80mm ED
      TS-Optics ED 70mm f/6
      William Optics Gran Turismo 71 APO Refractor
      Any advice/images of rigs/example images/etc would be greatly appreciated! 
      Thanks in advance :-) 

• By Androri
      Hey everyone ! I am new to this site , don't know how to properly use it , but hope someone will help me
      As the topic says , I am trying to buy my first telescope , and am quite excited for it. I have been reading wuite a lot about astronomy , so I know most of the basics , but have many many unanswered questions ... xD
      I was originally looking for a scope for viewing the planets , but well , after learning more , I thought that maybe a scope that can show only planets will eventually get a BIT boring , and will not be used much (although I still admire the planets and still will want to observe them).
      Just a quick info on me : I live in a city , have no place to go / or car to transport my scope to a darker place , live in a building , hope to observe from the rooftop. My ONLY CONCERN about this is that from my balcony I can see Vega at night , and as depressing as it may sound , nothing more .It may be because there are buildings covering my view (I at least hope so that's the case) or light pollution , although the place I live is in the orange to red zone in many light pollution maps.

So originally I stumbled upon the Orion Starseeker IV 80mm GoTo refractor. 
      http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/GoTo-Computerized-Telescopes/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-80mm-GoTo-Refractor-Telescope/c/1/sc/15/p/113919.uts
      Thought it was good for the GoTo and stuff , but after doing some research , got concerned about the sturdyness of the mount.Some said it was too shaky (I have almost constant winds of about 10mph at night here) . Plus after some while I discovered DeepSpace and got even more interested in it than the planets . So I started to seek for reflectors. After a while I discarded Dobsonians as an option , cause I do want to do astrophotography ( just amateur , not gonna spend money on expensive DSLR s or sth) . And maybe in the future I will want to do some more serious astrophotography , so it will be very sad , if I have to change the scope later , if I want to...
      So after doing some research I am currently watching these scopes .
      1. Orion 9827 AstroView 6 Equatorial Reflector Telescope . 
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000XMSR0/ref=psdc_499154_t1_B01N2HJBQC
      2. SkyWatcher Explorer-150P EQ3-2 Reflector.
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html
      The only downside of these is that they're not GoTo (The second one has an option , but it's out of my price range) , but I think an additional RA motor drive will do the thing. At lease if I will be able to find anything in my sky ...
      That's it ! If you own/have used any of these scopes tell me more about them !  What you like/dont like etc. 
      ANY GENERAL ADVICE IS APPERCIATED . 
      Thanks !