SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eagle, Omega, SH2-54 and Others

Here's another image from my week in Cornwall, taken in September at Caradon Observatory, the Eagle & Omega Nebulae along with the often overlooked Sh2-54 at the top of the image. There are a few more Sharpless objects scattered throughout the frame and M25 is at bottom left. Does anyone know the name of the dark 'fish' at middle left please?

36889120954_01eda5f989_h.jpg

It's slightly under an hour of exposures in total with the Samyang 135mm f2 on my modded 1100D and 12nm Ha filter, using 2 minute unguided subs. After that the edge of frame started a catch a tree. Here's a closer crop of the brighter nebulae.

36929650223_bfaa929fa9_b.jpg

Stellarium lists a number of large objects at bottom right, including IC4701, Sh2-44 and Sh2-41 but they seem to merge into each other . Viewing at full size, I can just make out the pillars of creation with this camera/lens combination but can't see the Eagle shape, I might try a drizzle stack if I can set a region of interest. I'm surprised at how many features I can match up with Sara's stunning image.

I stacked this using DSS's super pixel mode which I think is the correct setting for DSLR narrowband, and then processed (erratically) in a mixture of StarTools and Photoshop, including Noel's actions.

While I was waiting for it to get fully dark I also had a quick go at the NA and Pelican.

37423232795_8a37a7ecbf_h.jpg

This was just 22 minutes. I suspect the filamentary structures just showing at top left are some kind of supernova remnant. Here's a wider shot from last year that shows the area in context, taken with an old 35mm f2.4 lens.

32225299526_df4b777daa_b.jpg

Hope you like them, the Samyang 135mm is proving to be a beast of a lens even with a DSLR. I should be able to get even better results with my 1600MM cool.

Tremendous images. I love the casade of nebulae including the Eagle, Swan, etc in portrait format and the Cygnus image, likewise, frames the NAN-Sadr extended complex with wonderful coherence. It appears as a single vast object, which is probably what it really is.

Olly

On 10/10/2017 at 08:34, ollypenrice said:

Tremendous images. I love the casade of nebulae including the Eagle, Swan, etc in portrait format and the Cygnus image, likewise, frames the NAN-Sadr extended complex with wonderful coherence.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'm really pleased with how the framing turned out but I can't claim it was carefully planned, I had a great deal of trouble landing on target. Normally I'd star-hop by looking through the camera eye piece but that's not possible with the Ha filter in place.

On 10/10/2017 at 08:51, Filroden said:

Those are stunning. Lovely to see the nebula within the wider context.

Thanks, that's what I was aiming for.

On 10/10/2017 at 16:26, StargeezerTim said:

Beautiful images...

How did you get focus? I have a hunch that I would see nothing on live view with the Ha filter installed!

I focused on a light on the horizon to begin with, and double checked it with a Bahtinov mask on a bright star.

19 hours ago, Rodd said:

But I don't think the fish is empty space--I think its a dark structure in front of the nebula.  If what I think you refer to is what you refer to.

Yes, dark patches across the Milky Way are certainly dark nebulae rather than an absence of stars. I found it with a bit of searching, it's catalogued as Barnard 312 and LDN 379.

Archived