Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Wiu-Wiu

Spotting the new Iridium satellites

Wiu-Wiu    59

In June, I was observing when suddenly something caught my eye. It looked like a wishing balloon, but following the movement, it grew like a string of lights. Then suddenly it struck me: there was a launch of 10 new Iridium satellites a while before, and what I was looking at was this 'train' of satellites and the launch vehicle. I even managed to spot it through my telescope, showing a string of bright spots, but with smaller spots in between them, just a bit 'offset' of the line. 

Now there's a view you don't see every day!

well.. Spacex just launched another 10 of them! So keep your eyes open, they may fly over your head tonight! ;) 

I looked for flight data, but it might be too soon to track them. If anyone finds them, please let us know! 

• Like 5

Dave In Vermont    4,630

It appears Stellarium is keeping up-to-date in already adding them to it's data-base. Check out the 17th magnitude on this one:

stellarium-628.thumb.png.831c32793eb9edca8ed471e6da168d32.png

Click On Image for Full Size.

Happy Hunting,

Dave