Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone bringing their kids along?

Helen

I'm just doing a bit of preparation as I told Rik I'd do something for kids as well as the meteor stuff.  I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone is actually bringing their kids! and if so, what ages and any particular interests...

Thanks

Helen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had hoped to bring my kids along for the day but I'm not sure how things are working this year. I think someone else asked in another thread if it is ok to bring their scope along for the day in to evening was there a day rate but were told they would need to book a pitch? Is that still the case? I can understand it could turn in to chaos having dozens turning up just for the day and having no where for their cars but it's a lot of money to fork out if you have no intensions on staying beyond a couple hours of darkness. It's always nice to catch up with old friends at star parties but it isn't always possible to camp due to other commitments.

42 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Well I had hoped to bring my kids along for the day but I'm not sure how things are working this year. I think someone else asked in another thread if it is ok to bring their scope along for the day in to evening was there a day rate but were told they would need to book a pitch? Is that still the case? I can understand it could turn in to chaos having dozens turning up just for the day and having no where for their cars but it's a lot of money to fork out if you have no intensions on staying beyond a couple hours of darkness. It's always nice to catch up with old friends at star parties but it isn't always possible to camp due to other commitments.

I'll check, but would hope that turning up and viewing etc is still OK!

You don't need to book a pitch to visit but you MUST book in with reception on arrival and pay a day visitor fee (I believe it's £2.50pp).

There are now automated barriers so in order to enter the site, you will also need to provide reception with your car registration.

The only other concern would be lights, particularly if you intend to move your car once it's dark.

29 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Thanks guys and gals. That sounds great. No worries about lights Grant as I know how touchy imagers can get :evil6:

Will be nice to catch up with people and to hopefully get a couple hours under dark skies before heading home.

Great !  How old are your kids?

Helen

18 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Us observers don't greatly appreciate an eyeful of light either! :evil4::D

Yep but 30-40 minutes dark adaption later and your happily observing again. 3-4 hours later and imagers are still moaning about the 30 minute sub that got ruined :icon_bounce:

Dangerous ground chaps!!!

I’ll be leaving my hyper-active 6 year old at home......

He has got his own little Dob. With which he is fine. But tripods, cables, laptops and little scopes that are worth more than my car.... I can’t find an emoji for foreboding and cold sweats....

Paul

@Helen Yes, I'll be bringing my little boy along (he's 7 now), well... as long as he recovers from his cold in time! :)

Might be interesting as to how Im going to keep him entertained as I have no leccy hookup - well, I suppose it will be good for him to get away from his gadgets for a change.

12 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

@Helen Yes, I'll be bringing my little boy along (he's 7 now), well... as long as he recovers from his cold in time! :)

Might be interesting as to how Im going to keep him entertained as I have no leccy hookup - well, I suppose it will be good for him to get away from his gadgets for a change.

That's easy, sent him over to mine. I've got a hyperactive kitten that I'll be bringing with me.  She'll keep him entertained.  (and save me from scratches for a couple of hours)

4 hours ago, cjdawson said:

That's easy, sent him over to mine. I've got a hyperactive kitten that I'll be bringing with me.  She'll keep him entertained.  (and save me from scratches for a couple of hours)

Really??? a REAL kitten??

WOW.... Can I come and pat her please! In return I'll offer my boyfriend's arm as her scratching board for the night!

Yes definitely, my son really seems to have enjoyed that! :) and came back with a bunch of stuff to show me. Many thanks for that Helen, it kept him busy while I was delivering the processing workshops.

Im very glad it cleared up Saturday night too, he had a few "wow" moments when looking through one of the big dobs (the double cluster pretty much blew him away!). I did originally put him to bed at 8, but he heard me outside when I commented "yesss!" on the alignment accuracy of my mount - so he came out for another couple of hours to take in the night sky.

1 minute ago, Uranium235 said:

Yes definitely, my son really seems to have enjoyed that! :) and came back with a bunch of stuff to show me. Many thanks for that Helen, it kept him busy while I was delivering the processing workshops.

Im very glad it cleared up Saturday night too, he had a few "wow" moments when looking through one of the big dobs (the double cluster pretty much blew him away!). I did originally put him to bed at 8, but he heard me outside when I commented "yesss!" on the alignment accuracy of my mount - so he came out for another couple of hours to take in the night sky.

My pleasure Rob - he really engaged in the activities and was chatting away happily.  The double cluster did that for me too in the Dob last night :icon_biggrin:

Helen

A HUGE thank you to you Helen for keeping my lads entertained with rockets, meteors, dinosaurs, blowing up half the UK etc, etc. Other than having to leave prematurely due to suffering an asthma attack the family had a really great time catching up, solar observing and learning some new things at the talks. Just gutted we missed the clear skies and not getting to show my youngest the milkyway for the first time but the lads are both already looking forward to SGL2018

Archived