sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Ok so now have £3500 to spend on refractor for visual only and mount.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a thought; the juicy planets are very poorly placed for years to come at our latitudes so if it were me I would consider very carefully my other viewing options before spending.  

£3500 spare cash to spend on a telescope!!!  Err......I'm single, tall, dark hair, dark eyes, own transport................

I can't see any telescope plus mount combination that is going to give you better lunar and planetary views than a C11 at your suggested budget.  

Posted Images

To narrow down the possibilities, what do you want to look at with it ?

Do you need some eyepieces to go with it as well ?

Do you want a GOTO mount ?

Does it need to be easy to move around ?

There are a lot of refractor options around just like other scope designs !

I'm quite strong so portability not a huge issue but prob wouldn't be permanently mounted at this moment. Factored in an EQ6 and eyepieces already sorted. Planets and double stars mainly.

Edited by pragmatist
4 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Have you considered a dobsonian? No hassle with a mount and more money to spend on aperture ;) 

Nah, I go to Wales quite a bit for my fly fishing and there just wouldn't be space for a big dob. Has to be a frac as I've had most other types. 

Off the top of my head, for that budget, you could get something like the APM 140mm F/7 ED doublet which seems to be a good combination of aperture, false colour control, reasonable weight and bulk and quality:

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-140-980.html

These seem to be picking up a lot of interest now around the world.

The same source does a 152mm F/8 ED doublet (not quite such high quality ED glass though) within budget:

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-152-1200ed.html

If pure quality is a premium for you the Takahashi TSA 120 triplet would be within your budget (just about) on the used market but new they blow your budget by a few hundred £'s:

https://www.takahashiuk.co.uk/Refracting-Telescopes/TSA120/135-/Takahashi-TSA120-Triplet-Super-Apochromat-Package

If you start thinking about a pre-owned scope then the options become very interesting and numerous - I managed to find my TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet for less than your budget. I believe it's one of the best 5" refractors for visual use made. 

There really is quite a bit of choice for that budget !

Edit: I may have misunderstood your earlier post - does the £3,500 have to cover the EQ6 and eyepieces as well as the refractor optical tube ?

Edited by John
  • Like 1

If space is an issue, you haven't seen the Sumerians yet :) 

CEt2blRWYAAsUUv.jpg.783337e3f013d09199f3970a6db9c555.jpg

I have a 12" (like the picture) and it is slightly bigger than a briefcase. 

I've seen these the same way in 16". Buildup doesnt take long, you just need to get used to collimating (get a GOOD collimator and you're done before you know it...)

Offcourse, if you are used to a refractor, I can imagine there's a barrier to go to a dob.

5 minutes ago, John said:

Off the top of my head, for that budget, you could get something like the APM 140mm F/7 ED doublet which seems to be a good combination of aperture, false colour control, reasonable weight and bulk and quality:

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-140-980.html

These seem to be picking up a lot of interest now around the world.

The same source does a 152mm F/8 ED doublet (not quite such high quality ED glass though) within budget:

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-152-1200ed.html

If pure quality is a premium for you the Takahashi TSA 120 triplet would be within your budget (just about) on the used market but new they blow your budget by a few hundred £'s:

https://www.takahashiuk.co.uk/Refracting-Telescopes/TSA120/135-/Takahashi-TSA120-Triplet-Super-Apochromat-Package

If you start thinking about a pre-owned scope then the options become very interesting and numerous - I managed to find my TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet for less than your budget. I believe it's one of the best 5" refractors for visual use made. 

There really is quite a bit of choice for that budget !

Edit: I may have misunderstood your earlier post - does the £3,500 have to cover the EQ6 and eyepieces as well as the refractor optical tube ?

I've been looking at the Altair 125 EDF. Seems like a nice scope and they are only an hour and a half away from me so I can at least go and check it out weight wise. Yes some nice options there.

....refractor for visual only!

If I were buying a refractor this Month, it would be somewhere between 80mm and 100mm aperture, on a Go-To tracking mount, suitable for astro-photography, this much  I've learnt from information here on the web and from some very good books.

However for visual only use, I'd say Aperture is going to be of great help to you in many ways,  enough to see the fainter details, therefore more aperture is a must, but on a refractor, this gets extremely expensive £/Aperture, but your present  budget should get you something? 

If there's not enough aperture from a small expensive refractor, or there's too much heft in say a 12" or larger reflector, why not consider a bit of both by checking out if the catadioptric type telescope would/could be of any use.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, pragmatist said:

So final outcome is £3500 for purely visual but this included mount as well. 

My choice for Planets and double stars, visual only, £3500 = Skywatcher EQ6 and APM 140ED or APM 152ED

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

If I was going to spend £3500 on an expensive scope to take to Wales to look at planets and double stars, I'd likely go for a SCT on an alt-az GoTo mount (a more upmarket one than the one I have now) and with that budget I'd stick a Starsense on it.  

Agree with Geoff,

Why bother with an eq mount if it's visual only? I can't think of any more of a waste of time setting up an eq if you aren't taking pictures!

And I'm sorry to the frac guys - but I don't care how much it costs, a quality 12" dob, coma corrector and some mega eye pieces will outclass any frac visually. And if you want super sharp, stop your 12" f5 down to a 8" and get an 8" f7.5 dob for them tricky doubles.

Plus you get a light bucket for dsos whenever you fancy something different.

Have to admit, I have always had a hankering for a 9.25 or a cpc1100

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

Why bother with an eq mount if it's visual only? I can't think of any more of a waste of time setting up an eq if you aren't taking pictures!

The reason I moved swiftly to a Dobsonian.

Edited by Charic
16 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

And I'm sorry to the frac guys - but I don't care how much it costs, a quality 12" dob, coma corrector and some mega eye pieces will outclass any frac visually....

..... but it won't fit in the OP's car (see his 3rd post in this thread) and it's not what he asked about :rolleyes2:

He has owned other scope designs.

Might as well throw in some other designs as well:

Maksutov-Newtonian

Schmidt-Newtonian

Classical Cassegrain

Rumak-Cassegrain

etc, etc , etc but it's not the question that was asked.

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1