Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Notty

QHY Polemaster

Notty    153

Cannot presently justify the cost of a new one , but if anyone is looking to sell theirs, let me know.

Notty    153

Hi, what, as an alternative to one of these?  No should I have?

newbie alert    188

Not sure for definate but sharpcap was free..if you have a finder/guider and a planetary camera then you're good to go..sharpcap is more accurate than polemaster

newbie alert    188
2 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

Is it? :icon_biggrin:

Yep...sounds like you're questioning it??

Polemaster isn't pixel perfect and user error can have a play in the matter..the better the seeing conditions the better sharpcap is

AngryDonkey    87

Sorry, I honestly don't know the answer as I have not seen any comparisons in accuracy between the two - neither do I know how either of these apps work in detail so not in a place to comment. I do have the polemaster and know how to use it but never tried the SharpCap solution - it seems to be very easy to use by all accounts. I do auto guide so I'm sure either solution would work fine for me.

The reason I posted was that you just sounded very sure so out of curiosity I was hoping you would explain or point towards the source of the info.

newbie alert    188
1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

Sorry, I honestly don't know the answer as I have not seen any comparisons in accuracy between the two - neither do I know how either of these apps work in detail so not in a place to comment. I do have the polemaster and know how to use it but never tried the SharpCap solution - it seems to be very easy to use by all accounts. I do auto guide so I'm sure either solution would work fine for me.

The reason I posted was that you just sounded very sure so out of curiosity I was hoping you would explain or point towards the source of the info.

Ok,for me I tried the native way of sharpcap first as in with a finder/guider and sometimes it solved and other times it didn't..as it was so erratic I bought the polemaster..fantastic..worked every time,really liked it's speed and easy to use functions..I was out one night and got polar aligned with the polemaster and decided to fire up sharpcap  to do a comparison and was astonished what little adjustments made massive difference in getting the RA and DEC errors down, the program solves in a second or 2 in comparrison to over an hour with the guider..so that's how I do it from now on...BTW...im using it with the polemaster camera and sharpcap software...

Try it and see next time you have clear skies

AngryDonkey    87

Sorry I'm not trying to be difficult but how do you know which software is more accurate (bearing in mind that sometimes guiding performance is better when the polar alignment is slightly off)? Did you check this against another method e.g. drift align in PHD2 or similar?

Unfortunately I think Sharpcap does not include an atmospheric correction feature which will make a big difference at my latitudes so a comparison would probably not work out well. I am intrigued however that the Polemaster camera will work with Sharpcap full stop! I thought that that support had been removed from the ASI driver. I will have to give that a try to see what can be done with it.

newbie alert    188
1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

Sorry I'm not trying to be difficult but how do you know which software is more accurate (bearing in mind that sometimes guiding performance is better when the polar alignment is slightly off)? Did you check this against another method e.g. drift align in PHD2 or similar?

Unfortunately I think Sharpcap does not include an atmospheric correction feature which will make a big difference at my latitudes so a comparison would probably not work out well. I am intrigued however that the Polemaster camera will work with Sharpcap full stop! I thought that that support had been removed from the ASI driver. I will have to give that a try to see what can be done with it.

If you want total accuracy then drift align but not with phd as anything wouldn't have a automatic atmospheric dispersion using lenses..

Qhy is the sponsor of sharpcap so the drivers do and will work..try it and see for yourself

LightBucket    173
On 11/10/2017 at 10:04, newbie alert said:

Ok,for me I tried the native way of sharpcap first as in with a finder/guider and sometimes it solved and other times it didn't..as it was so erratic I bought the polemaster..fantastic..worked every time,really liked it's speed and easy to use functions..I was out one night and got polar aligned with the polemaster and decided to fire up sharpcap  to do a comparison and was astonished what little adjustments made massive difference in getting the RA and DEC errors down, the program solves in a second or 2 in comparrison to over an hour with the guider..so that's how I do it from now on...BTW...im using it with the polemaster camera and sharpcap software...

Try it and see next time you have clear skies

I was under the impression from the guy that wrote sharpcap that it does not work well at all with a camera and lens as small as the polemaster, and that you need at least a 50mm finder to get good results, and yet you are getting perfect results using a polemaster camera which has a 25mm lens with the sharpcap software....so i am a little confused....

LightBucket    173
3 hours ago, Notty said:

Just to bump it, I'm still interested in one!

Have a look at this, its identical to the polemaster but possibly half the price, and uses polemaster emulator software, I have built one and its superb...

Edited by LightBucket

newbie alert    188
2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I was under the impression from the guy that wrote sharpcap that it does not work well at all with a camera and lens as small as the polemaster, and that you need at least a 50mm finder to get good results, and yet you are getting perfect results using a polemaster camera which has a 25mm lens with the sharpcap software....so i am a little confused....

Why don't you stop your confusion and try it yourself..as far as you've written you have a polemaster? Just try it ..

LightBucket    173
Just now, newbie alert said:

Why don't you stop your confusion and try it yourself..as far as you've written you have a polemaster? Just try it ..

See post above i dont have the exact polemaster....

newbie alert    188

Sorry got confused with the other person..well obviously  you can't try it as you don't have one,but the polemaster has a wider fov than a 50mm and camera bit it doesn't stop it from working..i assure you it works ,and very well indeed..

LightBucket    173
6 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Sorry got confused with the other person..well obviously  you can't try it as you don't have one,but the polemaster has a wider fov than a 50mm and camera bit it doesn't stop it from working..i assure you it works ,and very well indeed..

I do have one but its made up of the QHY5LII and the same 25mm lens as the polemaster and uses the polemaster software, like i said see my link above, so i can try... :)

LightBucket    173

Can i ask if using sharpcap with a 50mm finder, does the finder have to be bang on perfectly aligned to the mount, as most wont be exactly...?? :)

tooth_dr    597
1 minute ago, LightBucket said:

Can i ask if using sharpcap with a 50mm finder, does the finder have to be bang on perfectly aligned to the mount, as most wont be exactly...?? :)

I can’t see how it would matter? The scope is just a means to aligning the mount.

• Like 1

newbie alert    188

From the opening page of sharpcap  it says something like it needs to be within 5 degrees of Polaris..thats why I use the polemaster first,then it solves more or less in a instant..if you get the scope and the guider looking in the same direction and the same point it make the software easier to plate solve..

LightBucket    173
1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I can’t see how it would matter? The scope is just a means to aligning the mount.

Yes i guessed that would be the case, but i find it hard to get my head around the science of it... 

tooth_dr    597

I use sharpcap myself and use the guidescope to PA.  Its just bolted onto the main scope directly. 

LightBucket    173
Just now, tooth_dr said:

I use sharpcap myself and use the guidescope to PA.  Its just bolted onto the main scope directly. 

The scope I would want to use is an 80mm Altair guidescope piggybacked with guidescope rings, so it’s looking in the same direction as the main scope, but how accurately are they aligned with the axis of the mount, as with saddles, rings and dovetail bars in between, it is probably not exactly inline, hence the question...