Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Recommended Posts

Since I've rather limited experience in processing NB data, I thought I'd experiment with trying to get naturally looking star colours with only NB data. 

I started with the traditional SHO palette, modified with the Bob Franke adjustments, see http://bf-astro.com/hubbleP.htm - whilst this yields pleasing colours on the Trunk, it also generated purple star halos, which also penetrated into the nebula and they did not look natural. I therefore parked this result and tried a bi-colour (HOO) approach. In my opinion, this led to less attractive Trunk colours but more naturally coloured stars. I blended the two results in an attempt to get the best of both approaches.

The image was constructed with 30min unguided subs which seem to work well with my 3nm NB filters and generated a reasonable amount of detail. 

Processed in CCDstack, Pixinsight and PS CC and taken with a Esprit 150 on a GM1000HPS.

Alan

59da04c67ff2b_6.Final.thumb.jpg.887785608fd56cd8fcb41dbacc818f3f.jpg

 

LIGHTS: Ha:12, OIII:16, SII:8 x 1800s. DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By lux eterna
      Hello all,
      I recently collected some OIII data for my previous attempt of the Elephants Trunk. I used a 2" Astronomik 12nm filter inside my TS Imaging Star 71, riding in my dual imaging rig. I knew it would be very difficult to point the TS71 correctly and frame the Trunk with the OIII filter blocking so much light, so I was lucky to have this method which put it spot on target.
      I added the OIII data as a "lighten" layer to the original blue channel, then used some "selective colour" etc (alignment was done with Registar). The new image is a bit dark, I know, but that is intentional and I think it works well if watched in low ambient light. C&C most welcome.
      Used Nikon D7000 & NexGuide on HEQ5 Pro.
      Ragnar

       
    • By Adreneline
      Sometimes the weather gods look on you kindly. A nice new Samyang 135mm turned up from that well known jungle supplier, I managed to assemble it to my Atik 428ex mono along with an Ha filter and got the spacing correct, and low and behold the skies stayed clear - all on the same day!
      I am sure there is room for improvement with the processing but this is IC1396 processed in PI; STF applied with HT, and a little HDRM + LHE to try to tease out some detail.
      Any help on improving the processing would be gratefully received - I really don't feel I get the best out of processing mono images.

      By the way this is 12x300s + 10x600s combined with HDR process in PI; flats, no darks and a master bias.
      Thank you for looking.
      Adrian
    • By Adreneline
      Clouds, clouds and rubbish seeing have been the order of the day here.
      Finally managed to get something over the past three nights. Seeing was not great and the target hid behind the trees until 00.30 so not too much time to get anything before the dawn started to appear.
      Taken with WO-ZS71 and 428ex this is 8 x 600s of Ha, OIII and SII - processed in PI and PS with some creative use of colour.

      I'm pretty sure there is more wrong with this image than there is right about it. As ever advice and comments always welcome.
      Not expecting to get anything else now until August.
      Thanks for looking.
      Adrian
    • By gorann
      Here is a image based on more Ha data from the last nights but here mainly collected by my Canon 300mm f/4 lens (38 x 10-12 min with an unmodded Canon 60D ISO1600) with Ha data from my 5" refractor (sitting side by side, 18 x 25 min with a Canon 60Da ISO1600) added centrally. The RGB also comes from the Canon lens and a 60Da but collected in October (96 x 3 min ISO1600).
      C & S most welcome
      Cheers
      Göran
      EDIT: I added the Ha data as a B/W image


    • By gorann
      Can hardly believe it but we have had several clear nights up here recently. Here is Ha data captured with my ES 5" apo refractor and a Canon 60Da (18 x 25 min over the last two nights). So it is captured with a Ha sensitive DSLR. To the Ha data I have then added RGB data from October 2017 taken with a Canon 300mm f/4 lens (96 x 3 min) and the ES refractor (35 x 10 min), so totally 18 hours of bits and pieces of data. All with Canon 60D or 60Da cameras at ISO 1600. Ha was primarily used as Lum.
      Comments & Suggestions most welcome!
      Cheers
      Göran

       

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.