SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Chromatic abberation on Vega when near horizon

This evening I was lucky enough to get out with my 10x50 binocular, a luxury when I'm away at uni. I had a quick look at M42 (which was depressingly bad through city light pollution) before turning my attention to the setting Summer Triangle. I had a quick scan around parallel to the body of the swan in Cygnus as usual before turning my attention to the Vega area, where I split Epsilon Lyrae into 2 and tried Zeta Lyrae before being distracted by Vega itself.

There were noticeable arcs of colour along the edges of Vega and it was twinkling very noticeably. I have never noticed chromatic abberation on Vega with this binocular before, and Vega was low on the horizon at the time so I hope this was due to atmospheric effects rather than CA in my binocular. Hopefully someone with more experience can comment.

3 hours ago, Tim said:

Yep, below 30 degrees or so blue and red wavelengths of light can come to a quite different focus point. You can see it even in very expensive apo refractors.

You can even see the effect in expensive reflectors! :icon_biggrin:

Archived