Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

maltrabob

What imaging camera for £400?

Hi guys,

I am after a camera for high-resolution imaging of our Moon. I would like to try planetary imaging as well but Moon is a priority. Looking at the prices it's pretty much between ZWO and Imaging Source brands. The telescope that will be used with the camera is a C9.25 f10.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

I own the IS DMK21au618, DMK41au02 and the Skyris 618C and I can vouch for those cameras. They're great for moon and planetary imaging but also can double as autoguiding cameras. Highly recommended.

ZWO ASI224 cameras are very good. See my avatar. Done with the C9.25.

Peter

• Like 1

ZWO cameras are excellent :)

Thank you very much for your answers so far. I am inclined towards ZWO cameras, ASI224MC is looking really good and for great price too. Still gives me over £100 to play with, is there any model that would surpass 224's qualities (178, 185 and 290) or would that be just unnecessary waste of money. Also, I am not planning on buying any filter wheel for separate RGB channels so I suppose buying a colour camera doesn't degrade the final outcome, does it? Thank you.

I use the colour uncooled 224 and am very happy with it. You will need an IR/UV filter to go with it and I would recommend the Baader IR cut Neodymium filter but an less expensive IR cut would also work.

Peter

The IS cameras are fine but they really are getting a bit out dated now. Just have a look at the chip sizes and the possible frame rates Vs the ASI range. You are therefore right to be loking at ZWO and the 224 will serve you very well.

You need to find a camera that's not oversampling with your scope..undersampling and combined with a Barlow to bring it up to the sweet spot..look up pixel scale

Just noticed astro-al is selling a Baader filter if you are interested.

Peter

Yes that's the first thing I've noticed with IS cameras when doing a bit of own research - low frame rates when compared to those of ZWO ones.

Oversampling, undersampling - I am going to look at it, could you point me towards some good guide here at SGL, please?

I do have a Baader Neodymium (Moon & Skyglow) filter #245835, I am going to do a bit of research on it.

Again, thank you for your help, I know you are busy preparing your Sunday Roasts so I appreciate your time :).

If you look at Resources - top of the page next to Activity. Then Astronomy Tools/ Calculators/CCD suitability.

Peter

• Like 1

Very interesting tool. I am looking into it at the moment, the decision is going to be made between ZWO ASI224MC USB 3.0 and ZWO ASI185MC USB 3.0. Both have the same pixel size but the later also has bigger sensor size. Thank you again.

Just to throw another idea out there, you could get a DSLR. You can buy a new Canon 1300d for around £300, and get some amazing shots that don't just limit you to the moon and planets. Wide fields and DSOs are then in your reach as well as the moon and planets, which you could still get some great shots of. Just food for thought.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have an older DSLR and I agree with you that some great shots can be done with it. Hopefully I will have time and clear skies and start using it shortly.

I am still not decided which ZWO camera to go for and what's worse I added another one that I am looking into - ZWO ASI290MC USB 3.0. So it is three contenders now instead of two and it's all down to this great and up-to-date guide I found on Agena Astro - http://agenaastro.com/zwo-astronomy-cameras-buyers-guide.html