Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi Don. That’s one of the sharpest and most detailed I’ve seen. Super. 

Thats crazy!! Howd you do that?? I cant image locating the ISS on a relatively small chip like the ASI120.

Do you mind sharing your technique?

I agree Tommo, completely crazy!! Fabulous image Don, very nicely done.

Thanks Tom & Stu

My technique -

Use a right angled finder with double cross hairs - then when its centred you can actually see it framed in a box

Make sure the finder and camera are perfectly aligned and the finder bracket doesn't wobble

Focus on a bright star - preferably along the path that ISS is going to take

I use Firecapture for capturing as I find the auto alignment really helpful for focusing - but don't use auto align during imaging

Set a fast shutter speed - 1/1000 th second or less, gain 50-60 & gamma 50

I've put some white tape along the tube so I can quickly align the tube with the dot in the sky before switching to the finder

Here it comes - keep calm and breath slowly  - if you can

Hold the tube with two hands

Point just ahead of the dot and let it drift through the box formed by the cross hairs - less likely to get tube wobble as your excited !

Repeat and repeat and repeat

Be prepared to get into some awkward positions as it goes overhead - as that's when your going to get your best photos

It will be travelling at roughly 1 degree per second  - and the field of view for the camera is 7x5 arc minutes !

You will miss a lot but hopefully you should get a couple of hundred frames with it on - with perhaps half a dozen reasonable ones

Use PIPP to sort the frames, centre the images and crop to 640x480

Lightly process in Registax and Photoshop Elements

Hope that helps and good luck

Don

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Thanks Tom & Stu

My technique -

Use a right angled finder with double cross hairs - then when its centred you can actually see it framed in a box

Make sure the finder and camera are perfectly aligned and the finder bracket doesn't wobble

Focus on a bright star - preferably along the path that ISS is going to take

I use Firecapture for capturing as I find the auto alignment really helpful for focusing - but don't use auto align during imaging

Set a fast shutter speed - 1/1000 th second or less, gain 50-60 & gamma 50

I've put some white tape along the tube so I can quickly align the tube with the dot in the sky before switching to the finder

Here it comes - keep calm and breath slowly  - if you can

Hold the tube with two hands

Point just ahead of the dot and let it drift through the box formed by the cross hairs - less likely to get tube wobble as your excited !

Repeat and repeat and repeat

Be prepared to get into some awkward positions as it goes overhead - as that's when your going to get your best photos

It will be travelling at roughly 1 degree per second  - and the field of view for the camera is 7x5 arc minutes !

You will miss a lot but hopefully you should get a couple of hundred frames with it on - with perhaps half a dozen reasonable ones

Use PIPP to sort the frames, centre the images and crop to 640x480

Lightly process in Registax and Photoshop Elements

Hope that helps and good luck

Don

What a great piece of information Don, many thanks!

I wonder could you sticky this @Stu  as this is a fantastic run through?

Hi Don - and thanks for the guide!

One other thing. I experimented doing a dummy run with my scope on an EQ mount and found it really awkward. Did you use an AZ mount?

Edited by Tommohawk

Tom

No I used an EQ mount and as I said you do get into some awkward positions !!

Alternatively if you align the mount west to east instead of south to north tracking is much easier but getting your finder alignment and focus can be tricky.

Don

Truly amazing. Next time you should ask a crew member to shortly step outside and wave. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the write up.

Couple of further questions if you don't mind!

I'm planning a go at imaging the ISS with a mono camera and wondering if I should use a filter, maybe LUM or IR block? No idea what would be best! Is your ASI120 mono, and if so did you use a filter?

Also I read somewhere that global shutter is better, because rolling shutter can cause distortion - I guess if you're not panning this could happen. Your ASI120, like my ASI1600 and ASI290 is  rolling shutter so clearly it's possible.

Any thoughts anyone?

Tom

My ASI is mono -you get more detail than with a colour - I used to take colour shots with a DBK21 - less detail but nice to see the brown shading of the solar panels

I usually leave the IR filter on to keep dust off etc but  don't think it makes any difference to the image.

I didn't even know what the shutter was so I certainly didn't worry about it.

Good Luck

Don

3 hours ago, StarlightKnight said:

Tom

My ASI is mono -you get more detail than with a colour - I used to take colour shots with a DBK21 - less detail but nice to see the brown shading of the solar panels

I usually leave the IR filter on to keep dust off etc but  don't think it makes any difference to the image.

I didn't even know what the shutter was so I certainly didn't worry about it.

Good Luck

Don

OK thanks - I'm probably overthinking it! But with so little clear sky I always try and plan everything to the nth degree!