Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Analyser 3.8 degree prism - worthwhile?

Hi John,    

If you are already experienced at using the Star Analyser and are using a high dispersion (low A/pixel) then it helps with resolution a bit. The improvement is pretty marginal with the SA100 (about  a 20% improvement in resolution typically) but  more useful with the SA200 where it helps to keep the focus constant across the spectrum with the higher diffraction angle.  Other variable factors such as seeing, focus have a much greater effect though. One downside is that it makes the wavelength calibration non linear

There is a comparison on Christian Buil's site here (tip 3)

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/staranalyser3/userguide.htm

Cheers

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your comments and the link. I am just experimenting with the SA 100 at the moment and really enjoying it! From what I am reading it looks like I should continue to work with the SA 100 without the prism! I have found your comments here and other forums very helpful, thanks again.

John

Archived