SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

cheap rig setup with d3300

nmoore6

Hi,

I am trying to break into the astrophotography realm. Currently I have Nikon D3300. I have a few questions regarding some things i have been looking at for a rig, any help would be appreciated. I am thinking about getting the Bresser EXOS-2GT mount linked here 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...EG&sku=1291506

Seems like a nice entry level EQ mount that could support a camera or my orion ED 80mm. Just wanted some general opinions on it for entry level brighter DSO imaging.

I also have a sigma 150-500mm telephoto lens that I love. Would this be powerful or sharp enough to do some basic DSO imaging? I was thinking of getting one of those cheap 75-300mm lenses, but I won't if i dont need to. I am looking to keep the setup as cheap as possible. I'd like the mount and any new glass I get to ideally be under 600 dollars. Im not trying to get on the cover of Sky and Telescope magazine. Some practice snapping and stacking Orions nebula, pleidias, andromeda, really bright stuff like that is all im really trying to do.

Any advice on these items or suggestions for others would be a big help, thank you!

I'm not really that familiar with that vixen mount..but looking at the reviews Curtis wasn't that impressed.. If you're considering getting into astro photography then really the best mount you can afford or carry... from over here a skywatcher heq5 pro is plenty for your 80mm frac..think it's known as Sirius range over your side of the pond ..

If you're buying a new lens for widefield, you cannot beat the Samyang 135mm f2 - there are numerous incredible images on the forum using this lens. Avoid using zoom lenses - the prime ones are generally much sharper and this one is very fast at F/2.

Having said that, the mount is possibly more important and if you think you'll continue AP into the future, then you'll ideally want an HEQ5 or equivalent (as newbie says) or you'll end up wanting to upgrade before you know it. I highly recommend looking at second-hand options.

Archived