Narrowband

Venus & Mars: A Lovers Dance - Close Contact

orion25

I took these shots at prime focus of the close conjunction of Venus and Mars this morning before work. Sigma Leonis joined in on the dance, too!

large.59d6a515cedc9_ASTRONOMY-VENUSMARS(PRIMEFOCUS)10-05-17ACAPTION.jpg.5187758d34add4743e43eb3d570fcbc0.jpg

large.59d6a4fd2e3e6_ASTRONOMY-VENUSMARS(PRIMEFOCUS)10-05-17BCAPTION.jpg.cbeef4b70439869fc4ad7ea536224924.jpg

It was magical at the eyepiece as well :happy7:

Enjoy!

Reggie

• orion25 changed the title to Venus & Mars: A Lovers Dance - Close Contact
15 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Pete. Did the clouds "cloud" your view?

No Reggie for once the clouds stayed away. I knew they were going to be close, less than 1/3 the diameter of the full moon. I really thought it was an aeroplane on the horizon at first! I think this is the closest conjunction I have seen.

Now thats something I long to see in the eyepiece.. I think the next major planetary alignment will be in 2020, Jupiter and Saturn will be so close that apparently they'll be visible in one EP FOV at high power. Can't wait.

5 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

No Reggie for once the clouds stayed away. I knew they were going to be close, less than 1/3 the diameter of the full moon. I really thought it was an aeroplane on the horizon at first! I think this is the closest conjunction I have seen.

Nice pic. I'm glad you got to see it, too! :happy7:

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Now thats something I long to see in the eyepiece.. I think the next major planetary alignment will be in 2020, Jupiter and Saturn will be so close that apparently they'll be visible in one EP FOV at high power. Can't wait.

You should be able to see the upcoming Jupiter/Mars conjunction on 2018 Jan 7 from your latitude. The two will only be about 13 arcminutes apart. I'm looking forward to that one!

27 minutes ago, orion25 said:

You should be able to see the upcoming Jupiter/Mars conjunction on 2018 Jan 7 from your latitude. The two will only be about 13 arcminutes apart. I'm looking forward to that one!

Thanks for the heads up

Archived