Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ian Kahler

paying for astronomy software

I have  given a  lot of  thought to some  of  the  software  programs out there, like  The  Sky, Skytools etc. 

I suppose  it is  worth it if  one  is a  serious observer.... but what about the  casual observer.  I find  everything I need  to know  on free software like  stellarium.

What are your  thoughts guys??

Most of the time I find Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel (particularly that last one) do what I need from astro software. I tried Starry Night Pro V7 for a while but I didn't find it any more useful than the freeware ones :dontknow:

I may try Skysafari on my tablet while it's on sale.

I do use a paper star atlas as well as the above though. The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas and Interstellarium are my most used (particularly the former).

• Like 2

I have TheSkyX - Serious-Astronomer version. It was my first star-charting software-program. But that was obtained prior to hearing about Stellarium. I had Skytools - it was stolen, but I never bothered to replace it. And many others, too. That says something. And many others down-the-road as well. If I learned one lesson fromall the different software I've tried, it's this: No one is best for everyone. No magical program that all can agree is the best or 'pick-of-the-litter.' So -

Try as many as you can. Make your own decision which you like. As you have Stellarium, you can take your time in 'playing-the-field.' Stellarium is definetly one of the very best one's out there. And you can't beat the price.

Happy Hunting!

Dave

stellarium-614.thumb.png.a8f7bfa7ad0f2f5353376bbece2531c0.png

Click on image for larger-size.

Edited by Dave In Vermont
Sp.

Free software is great, and there's a huge amount you can achieve with it.  Much of the internet only exists because of software that is free.  But on the other hand I really don't begrudge those who ask for a small payment for the fruits of their labour.  People who write software have to pay the same bills as everyone else and it can be hugely time-consuming to create.

James

• Like 3

The way I see it if you're capable to support a project and software that you like than its a good thing, gives the authors the drive to improve the software. For example I use Nebulosity 3 and Astrophotography Tool, both are great and the small amount of money it costs is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least I can count of improvements and bug fixes periodically (in the case of APT).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2017 at 11:00, MarsG76 said:

The way I see it if you're capable to support a project and software that you like than its a good thing, gives the authors the drive to improve the software. For example I use Nebulosity 3 and Astrophotography Tool, both are great and the small amount of money it costs is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least I can count of improvements and bug fixes periodically (in the case of APT).

I totally agree with MarsG76, I also use APT and love it, so have just recently payed the small amount to upgrade, these programs take a lot of hours of their time to produce for our benefit and enjoyment.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of money on planetarium software from various vendors over the years, particularly in the 90's. Now I use Stellarium on desktop and Skysafari on my mobile devices. I recently upgraded SkySafari 4 Pro to 5 Pro at full price. Not that I needed the extra features, such as they were, but because I think it's very good value for money and I wanted to support future development.

I wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds for some of the high end PC packages unless I needed a particular feature only available at that price.

7 hours ago, Paul M said:

I wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds for some of the high end PC packages unless I needed a particular feature only available at that price.

I'm wouldn't either, but if its only a few euros in the case of APT, or $80 for Nebulosity than I do.. but few hundreds dollars for Starry Night or $600 for MaxinDL.... meh... too expensive.... that is why some people find "free" versions of them.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spacecake2
      Hi there,
      I have a problem using Registax 6 when it keeps having a blank screen when I start to stack. It keeps saying:           
      has anyone got any solutions? This the first time a tried aligning and stacking an image and it happened) 
      Any help would be great,
      Regards,

• By Slingshot
      Hi - I'm a new member of this great forum and a complete beginner. I would be grateful for ideas or suggestions if you have time please. 
      Last night at around 2230hrs i was laying on my back garden in the moist grass gazing up at the night sky. Clear skies North and South but cloudy in the East, Patchy West. No telescope, just my mug of tea and a blanket. I have always known where North is since a young lad. Find the Plough, top and last star of the saucepan and follow in a straight line for 6 thumbs and there is the North star. Great. Then, as i looked at it with my new eyes as a new budding novice, it suddenly dawned on me.
      Like most of us on this planet we all look at our night sky, think how beautiful it is, be humbled, thankful, in awe, spiritual, emotional and so on, then go about our business. But not now! Now I am looking up with deranged eyes and mind, thinking i have not a clue about any of this wonderous sight before me. I have no names, no vocabulary, no maps, no idea of where to start and no plan at all. So far i have been looking at equipment needed to get started, which in itself was overwhelming, but made a choice and picked out my telescope. And indeed some members here, have kindly said i made a decent choice to start with.......
      As it got gradually darker (and colder) the stars got brighter. So i picked out a line from the middle of the Plough and followed if by about 13 thumbs (sorry for the boyhood terms) and found a big bright star and below that, by half a thumb, a collection of faint stars which i could see better by averting my gaze. It dawned on me again. I cant be doing this all night without any clue of technical knowledge. Bewildered, I stood up and looked toward the South West and saw what i know to be Jupiter and i think Saturn (fainter). This again brought it home just how little i know and just how much learning is needed just to get going.
      I went inside and on my PC ( i dont have an i -phone or android tablet ) and found Stellarium. Looked at the online sample, stuck in my location and upcame a northerly view of what i had been looking at. I found the names to my delight and ran outside to try and match up what i had seen. But it took at least 10 minutes before my eyes got used to the dark again. Then identified said bright star as Arcturas and below that faint collection as Gaia. ( i think ) Cocker hoop, i ran back inside and looked again at the PC for more names. This went on for about an hour or so. I felt elated at finding the star called Dubhe which was my boyhood top of saucepan star and on to Polaris. Back to Ursa major across again to Arcturas and below that Gaia, carefully usig my thumb to get the right measure. I couldn't see capalla coz of cloud to the east.
      Back inside I thought just how do other people do this. 
      Hence this message. I need to work out a plan, what are the right maps, is Stellarium good start or something similar. What hard copy maps and best beginners books? Is it a good idea to pick up a small bit of sky, and work outwards from that, then when comfortable, move on to other directions. Or do I pick out known objects, like the Moon and other near planets and go from there. Or do I do a bit of everything bit by bit.? 
      What is the best way of logging my progress? And many more questions..... Sorry for length of this topic matter, if I have made mistakes with names and if the questions asked are basic.
      I would be grateful for your thoughts and advice - thanks a million.
      Garry
    • By AstroRookie
      Hello,
      Since a couple of months I'm a EQ6-R Pro user. So far I've been using the synscan handcontroller to do the star alignment.  I would like the use software like stellarium, kstars or cartes du ciel thru the direct connection with mount, so no longer using the synscan handcontroller. I've tried but when I search an object and make the software slew to it,  it's way off. I'm quite confident with my polar alignment as I'm using the QHYCCD PolarScope (and furthermore I've read on this forum that polar alignment and star alignment are not the same).
      Can somebody please explain how to do star alignment with software like stellarium, kstars or cartes du ciel - I suppose there's is some general procedure that applies to software like the three I mention?
      Many thanks,
      AstroRookie
    • By teoria_del_big_bang
      I am sure there are loads of these polls but there seems so many available now I was wondering what, and why, people are using them.
      Poll is set to close end of August so it doesn't go on running forever.
      Thanks for participating
      Steve
    • By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
      I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
      I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
      I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
      Thanks in advance,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.