Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

paying for astronomy software

Ian Kahler

I have  given a  lot of  thought to some  of  the  software  programs out there, like  The  Sky, Skytools etc. 

I suppose  it is  worth it if  one  is a  serious observer.... but what about the  casual observer.  I find  everything I need  to know  on free software like  stellarium.

What are your  thoughts guys??

Most of the time I find Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel (particularly that last one) do what I need from astro software. I tried Starry Night Pro V7 for a while but I didn't find it any more useful than the freeware ones :dontknow:

I may try Skysafari on my tablet while it's on sale.

I do use a paper star atlas as well as the above though. The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas and Interstellarium are my most used (particularly the former).

• Like 2

I have TheSkyX - Serious-Astronomer version. It was my first star-charting software-program. But that was obtained prior to hearing about Stellarium. I had Skytools - it was stolen, but I never bothered to replace it. And many others, too. That says something. And many others down-the-road as well. If I learned one lesson fromall the different software I've tried, it's this: No one is best for everyone. No magical program that all can agree is the best or 'pick-of-the-litter.' So -

Try as many as you can. Make your own decision which you like. As you have Stellarium, you can take your time in 'playing-the-field.' Stellarium is definetly one of the very best one's out there. And you can't beat the price.

Happy Hunting!

Dave

stellarium-614.thumb.png.a8f7bfa7ad0f2f5353376bbece2531c0.png

Click on image for larger-size.

Edited by Dave In Vermont
Sp.

• 3 weeks later...

Free software is great, and there's a huge amount you can achieve with it.  Much of the internet only exists because of software that is free.  But on the other hand I really don't begrudge those who ask for a small payment for the fruits of their labour.  People who write software have to pay the same bills as everyone else and it can be hugely time-consuming to create.

James

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The way I see it if you're capable to support a project and software that you like than its a good thing, gives the authors the drive to improve the software. For example I use Nebulosity 3 and Astrophotography Tool, both are great and the small amount of money it costs is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least I can count of improvements and bug fixes periodically (in the case of APT).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/11/2017 at 11:00, MarsG76 said:

The way I see it if you're capable to support a project and software that you like than its a good thing, gives the authors the drive to improve the software. For example I use Nebulosity 3 and Astrophotography Tool, both are great and the small amount of money it costs is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least I can count of improvements and bug fixes periodically (in the case of APT).

I totally agree with MarsG76, I also use APT and love it, so have just recently payed the small amount to upgrade, these programs take a lot of hours of their time to produce for our benefit and enjoyment.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of money on planetarium software from various vendors over the years, particularly in the 90's. Now I use Stellarium on desktop and Skysafari on my mobile devices. I recently upgraded SkySafari 4 Pro to 5 Pro at full price. Not that I needed the extra features, such as they were, but because I think it's very good value for money and I wanted to support future development.

I wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds for some of the high end PC packages unless I needed a particular feature only available at that price.

7 hours ago, Paul M said:

I wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds for some of the high end PC packages unless I needed a particular feature only available at that price.

I'm wouldn't either, but if its only a few euros in the case of APT, or $80 for Nebulosity than I do.. but few hundreds dollars for Starry Night or $600 for MaxinDL.... meh... too expensive.... that is why some people find "free" versions of them.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By deanchapman2705
      Hi, I'm new to this whole auto guiding thing so bare with me!
      So I have a iOptron SkyGuider Pro with a WO Zenithstar 61 and recently bought a ZWO ASI120MM Mini and guide scope to have a go at auto guiding. I followed tutorials online step by step (installing drivers, and changing the settings in PHD etc.) and managed to connect the camera and mount in PHD, start looping exposures and select a star. But when I start the calibration, it counts to 'west step 61' and comes up with "RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough"
      I have tried reinstalling all drivers/software, using a different laptop and solutions other people have found do not help. Guide scope is focused and it's not trying to track a hot pixel.
      The star is supposed to move up and down as the mount moves during the calibration although nothing happens. So this makes me think there is something wrong with the mount or the ST4 cable from the camera to the mount. Cable securely clicks into both ends. I have heard the term "backlash" with mounts and not sure if this could be the cause? Not sure what this means or if this is possible with a star tracker?
      I can't seem to manually control the mount in PHD although I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can however, manually press the buttons on the mount itself and it moves fine.
      I've attached pictures of my setup along with the 'Guide Log' that people often ask for - PHD2_GuideLog_2021-08-23_225305.txt
      (Also, the total weight on the mount is 4.7kg and the max payload is 5kg for imaging so this should be fine?)
      Any Ideas? Let me know if you guys need anything else.
      Thanks,
      Dean

Setup:
      iOptron Skyguider Pro
      WO Zenithstar 61 ii
      Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MM Mini
      Guide Scope: 32mm F4 (focal length - 125mm)

• By NorthernAstro
      Hello there,
      My synscan V3 handset is having issues in the goto settings, for example, it may be over 10 degrees out in azimuth and a few degrees out by altitude. For troubleshooting purposes and to save you from asking unnecessary questions, I have tried different locations and made comparisons, I have also tested multiple different targets. My location, date and time are also correct and to make sure, I have tried different variables to see if there is a difference but there is not, the handset is still out. I should also let you know that the difference between the real value and H.C. Value is not fixed and does vary. Help would be greatly appreciated as this has really puzzled me. I have updated the firmware and went to older versions - same issue. I have searched for this topic on the likes of YouTube and other forums and cannot find some information. Fingers crossed one of you can help me with this. 
      Thank you,
      Cai
    • By Chefliam
      Hello fellow astronomers, I have come to the forums as I have depleted all other options.
      I own an NEQ5 GoTo with a Skywatcher 72ED. I have connected the mount to my computer using an EQDIRECT cable. 
      I am trying to use stellarium with ascom and eqmod to slew the mount to a desired object. I have configured my scope using the “telescope control” plugin in stellarium. In the past I had successfully achieved slewing through stellarium. 
      The problem is that now, one month later, when opening stellarium and trying to slew the telescope to a selected object (using either the “slew telescope to” panel or the shortcut (control + 1)) the mount moves for a fraction of a second and then stops, stellarium freezes and then the scope indicator in stellarium slides quickly to the horizon, and EQMOD control panel displays “horizon limit horizon limit” error. (Let’s call this the “main failure mode”.)
      Note that : 
      I can use EQMOD and slew the scope manually without problem.  If using it in tandem with stellarium, when I do so the scope indicator in stellarium moves without issue.
      I have used the “resync encoders” button on EQMOD to establish the home position, but this does not affect the behavior.
      I can use ascom device hub to slew the scope manually without a problem as well. 
      The main failure mode described above happens most of the time.  However, I sometimes get other erratic behavior in stellarium:
      Sometimes, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount moves for a second then stops (as described above), yet the scope indicator in stellarium moves to the selected object not the horizon, then the mount starts to track (even though it has not yet slewed). 
      Or, rarely, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount physically moves (seemingly to the object) and starts tracking, the scope indicator moves to the selected object -- appearing to work normally.  But then, when trying to slew the scope a second time to a different object, it fails again as described in the main failure mode above.
      I have tried opening stellarium as administrator but I still get one of the three outcomes when trying to slew. 
      Does anyone have any insight on this ? 
    • By Btmackd
      I have a CPC 800 Edge HD as well as an Orion Starshoot Autoguider.  I recently ordered a ZWO ASI294 MC Pro colour camera.  In terms of the auto guide function I had planned on using PHD2 (which I already downloaded onto my Mac laptop).   In terms of researching software that would allow for control of the camera I understand there are a number of options. I considered purchasing an ASIair, however, I understand that is not compatible with the Orion Starshoot Autoguider, and therefore I would need to replace that with a ZWO.  I am hesitant to want to do that, even though it would be convenient not to have to bother with laptop connectivity.  Right now I've been using my iPhone for goto functionality with Starsense and Skyportal wifi.  I understand there are a number of options available for Windows based PCs in terms of control of camera and image acquisition.  BackyardEOS (for DSLR cameras), Astrophotography Tool, and Nebulosity.  These seem to be the most popular.  However, it looks to me as though APT is just for Windows based PC.  As well, not sure the extent to which Nebulosity is seamless when it comes to Mac compatibility.  Is there a recommended Image Acquisition software for Mac users?  Is a Windows PC laptop dedicated for astrophotography the best approach (e.g. second hand etc)?  I would appreciate your recommendations.  Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.