Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all!

Wiu-Wiu

Almost every time when I look something up, I end up on this forum. Finally, I decided to register and use my first post to introduce myself.

I have been interested in astronomy and space travel ever since I was a kid. I bought my first telescope, a 60/800 refractor, with the money I saved from birthdays and new year presents, I think I was 11 or 12. 

After school, starting at my first job, and moving on my own, I finally had the funds to buy a second hand C8, which sparkled the urge for deep-sky observation. 

Sadly, I live in what is probably the most light polluted area of Europe, so visual observations dimmed down to the point I only did astronomy for 14 days in the summer, on vacation.

Starhopping with a C8 on a manual eq mount is no walk in the park... So 2 years ago, I finally bought an AVX mount which gave me the power of GOTO, and opened up a whole new world.

soon, I wanted to use my new powers for astrophotography, only the 2000mm fl was too much to handle. An Esprit 80 ED proved the so long needed tool to start my quest in the world of astrophotography. But soon, I started to get bored, sitting next to my setup while it was taking lights. A 12" dobsonian had to fill the gap - no mount needed and lots of light gathering power for hours of adequate deepsky pleasure.

The C8 became more and more useless, and I finally said goodbye to my loyal friend and got an old Maxvision 127mm triplet to take the next step in astrophotography. 

I have discovered the joy of deepskylogging, and I am currently working my way through some observation lists like the H400 I and II, the Messier list, etc,... 

The light pollution makes taking pictures at home very tough, so I plan on using my setup to sketch the brightest objects (that'll keep me busy for a while), use the (travel)dobsonian on a dark location nearby, and take pictures on special small astro-related trips to super dark spots, where I also bring the dob for visual use.

Attached, my usual current setup on one of those trips. 

Future plans include a semi fixed pillar, upgrading my filter set, looking to upgrade my imaging camera (I still use a modified Canon 600D), and learning to process my pictures better. I am sure I will learn a lot from being here.

looking forward to it! 

IMG_6806.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived