SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Unexpected results in PixInsight

I am getting a very odd and unexpected result when running the HDRMultiScale Transform process in Pixinsight.

After starting to rework some of my old data I noticed that after a lot of careful previewing the effects of my HDR process differs on a preview window then it does when run upon the main image.
On the below image,  the right hand side is a preview window and produces my desired result. However the left hand image is the result (zoomed in) of the same HDR Transform settings upon the whole image, clearly there is a large difference.
Nothing has changed with the setting and the mask is the same. I am literally running the same process on the main image. I have ensured that I have not inadvertently somehow running the process twice or duplicating a step.

Is this an expected result as it is calculating the entire image as opposed to data on a small Preview window, this does not sound logical at all?

HDRMLT.thumb.JPG.188883dcb19d1064b2185a90095b02f5.JPG

Many Thanks

Yes, this is expected behaviour, unfortunately. The process takes its data from the entire image it works on. The input data is therefore different, depending on view. But you can create a preview of the entire image. Just pull the tab on the left side down.

Another process where the result depends on preview/framing is deconvolution, if the preview is small.

Yes I've had similar effects on some of my post processing. I now do 3 previews similar to bracketing in photography. One of them works out correct on the processed image ?

I think it is also mentioned in the book Inside Pixinsight.

Steve

Archived