Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

But it’s not real astronomy...

tooth_dr

Different strokes for different folks...just ignore him and move on. Personally I can't see the point of looking at faint grey fuzzy blobs that look identical to each other...but hey ho.

An analogy close to me are bird watchers vs. bird photographers.

Two totally different breeds...

Then on top of that you get twitchers who are the equivalent to the smelly unkempt astronomers (you know the types).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

Personally I can't see the point of looking at faint grey fuzzy blobs that look identical to each other...but hey ho.

No no no! Some blobs are much more fuzzy and harder to see than others...

One of the great things about getting older is that, unlike that horribly insecure teenage phase of our lives, we need not be so preoccupied by what others think of us. I must admit, I simply cannot imagine a circumstance where I would be concerned in the slightest by what others think of my interest in astronomy or how I go about satisfying that interest, more so if the comments are from another amateur.  Sue if the comments come from someone I respect due to their knowledge, skill or experience that would be different. Life is too short to stop doing what you enjoy - do more of it. :) 

Jim

On 04/10/2017 at 23:03, tooth_dr said:

...astro imaging that is. I was told this tonight at an astronomy club meeting by one of the members after a couple of my images were used in a presentation.  The basis for this comment - I have a warm room in my shed and he doesn’t, therefore he can see the sky at all times and I can’t.  Guess that saves me sending any more images in. Hopefully he’s more welcoming to other newer members. 

If you are making a study of the heavens using any method, its astronomy. There are different levels of astronomy, by which I mean different degrees of seriousness. Personally I'm a visual observer and I observe for pure enjoyment plain and simple. I consider myself a Stargazer rather than an astronomer, simply because I'm not usually involved in any particular programme of study, and so i just follow my mood.

If I were you I'd pay no attention to the comment made at the Astronomy club as it was probably said tongue in cheek, but such comments can demoralize. The reality is that imaging is often much more scientific, as changes are permanently and accurately recorded, and so imaging is in fact a very powerful astronomical tool. Visual astronomy has over the last few decades had to take a back seat as a scientific method. It doesn't mean that the visual observer has no scientific role anymore but it does mean his role is now limited, so in that sense it is visual astronomy that is not "real astronomy." 

Bottom line:  If you get a thrill imaging the night sky then stick at it. It's a hobby! 

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

If you are making a study of the heavens using any method, its astronomy. There are different levels of astronomy, by which I mean different degrees of seriousness. Personally I'm a visual observer and I observe for pure enjoyment plain and simple. I consider myself a Stargazer rather than an astronomer, simply because I'm not usually involved in any particular programme of study, and so i just follow my mood.

If I were you I'd pay no attention to the comment made at the Astronomy club as it was probably said tongue in cheek, but such comments can demoralize. The reality is that imaging is often much more scientific, as changes are permanently and accurately recorded, and so imaging is in fact a very powerful astronomical tool. Visual astronomy has over the last few decades had to take a back seat as a scientific method. It doesn't mean that the visual observer has no scientific role anymore but it does mean his role is now limited, so in that sense it is visual astronomy that is not "real astronomy." 

Bottom line:  If you get a thrill imaging the night sky then stick at it. It's a hobby! 

Well it wasn’t tongue on cheek, we aren’t friendly enough to go there. There is plenty good advice on this thread, well received. I’m certainly not going to be getting too upset about it, but it did scunder me at the time.

3 hours ago, saac said:

One of the great things about getting older is that, unlike that horribly insecure teenage phase of our lives, we need not be so preoccupied by what others think of us. I must admit, I simply cannot imagine a circumstance where I would be concerned in the slightest by what others think of my interest in astronomy or how I go about satisfying that interest, more so if the comments are from another amateur.  Sue if the comments come from someone I respect due to their knowledge, skill or experience that would be different. Life is too short to stop doing what you enjoy - do more of it. :) 

Jim

You are right Jim, no doubt. 

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You are right Jim, no doubt. 

Don't get me wrong I'd be pretty disappointed that a club member had such a view. Look on the bright side, at least you now know his credentials.

Jim

4 hours ago, saac said:

One of the great things about getting older is that, unlike that horribly insecure teenage phase of our lives, we need not be so preoccupied by what others think of us.

If someone has a problem with me, that's their problem, not mine :wink:

Meh, its grist to the mill, do what you enjoy and don't worry about what anyone thinks. If astronomy only does one thing for me (it does many :icon_biggrin:) it shows me that individual opinions are not really that important on a grand scheme. I love imaging everything, I love looking at everything. Sometimes its just nice to see lay back in a chair look up at wonder, that is also astronomy in its most basic form. 

The new technology I have discovered since getting back into astronomy in 2009 has been fantastic! 

Archived