SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up " Sky at Night " Sunday

Timebandit

Sunday BBC Four at 10 in the evening

Return to the Moon

For the first time in a generation there are credible plans to return to the Moon. The team look into the possibility ,and why the interest now to return .

Following on at 10.30

The search for a new Earth 

Stephen Hawkins and a team of experts to see how people can search into space to look for  different planets to locate.

Hope you enjoy 

Bring it on. Came to astronomy quite late in life,  just catching the last year of SPM. Never miss SAN, often reminded of its impending viewing by the good folks on here old SGL. Keep up the good work ?

Thought it was a good  Sky at Night too, covering one subject in some depth. Interesting that commercial organisations are getting involved as well as ESA.

Anyone notice the badge on the Lunar Rover?

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Also watched S@N last night. Enjoyed it too.

I think going to the Moon is a sensible step towards planning a future Mars mission. As mentioned in the show it is much closer to Earth and we have been there before so have some previous experience.

My only gripe is that there always seems to be an imminent launch which never seems to happen. Is it the Google X prize that keeps getting delayed? Appreciate that this is still a hugely challenging task on relatively small budgets but I want to see some landers!

1 hour ago, Droogie 2001 said:

My only gripe is that there always seems to be an imminent launch which never seems to happen. Is it the Google X prize that keeps getting delayed? Appreciate that this is still a hugely challenging task on relatively small budgets but I want to see some landers!

I thought it was poor to miss out the Google X prize (I think the short list has been drawn up and the time extended, I only know about that via Japanese TV as they have a team on the shortlist) as it would have reinforced the multi nation focus on the moon.

When ESA said they want to get involved in a manned mission I thought; I hope those astronauts are well prepared for crash landings ! :happy11: or should it be :happy8: ?

A lunar base makes a lot of sense, as it's only (In space terms) a short hop, and lunar farside could be a brilliant place for observatories, especially radio, with 2,000-odd miles of rock between them and Earth's radio noise. Obviously darker and dryer skies than Earth and a lot easier to reach than the L points.

Archived