SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New ASI1600 Cameras

Andyb90

Hi all,

Just looking at the ZWO facebook page and it shows a video with a new ASI1600MM Pro camera. I can't see what the difference is with the new Pro model. Does anyone have an idea?

There is also a camera with built in filter wheel which it says is the ASI1600GT in the comments. Don't suppose anyone knows any more about this do they? Again not much info on the ZWO facebook page yet.

Andy.

Just had a look at ZWO website, and they do not mention ASI1600 Pro but they do have two new models listed:

ASI128MC Pro and ASI094MC Pro (both full frame color CMOS sensors with different pixel size and resolution). They do however mention that main difference between Pro and Cool model is DDR2 ram buffer for smooth "download" of frames, and it apparently helps with amp glow somehow. Here is quote:

"ASI094 Pro camera includes one 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help data transfer more stable and  no amp-glow issue which is caused by the slow speed data transfer during reading out under USB2.0 Port.

DDR memory buffer is the main difference between ASI “Cool” and “Pro” cameras."

I guess it applies when using cameras with USB2 cable / controller? I had no issue with amp glow on my ASI1600 but I'm using USB3 cable and USB3 hub.

Basically its an upgrade that takes it to  similar spec to the QHY163m that has DDR memory from the start and a heated window but is cheaper than the non 'pro' ASI1600. Reducing read time is a big factor in reducing amp glow as the amp does not have to be on for so long due to the faster read to memory as opposed to over the usb directly.

On 10/4/2017 at 14:44, vlaiv said:

Just had a look at ZWO website, and they do not mention ASI1600 Pro but they do have two new models listed:

ASI128MC Pro and ASI094MC Pro (both full frame color CMOS sensors with different pixel size and resolution). They do however mention that main difference between Pro and Cool model is DDR2 ram buffer for smooth "download" of frames, and it apparently helps with amp glow somehow. Here is quote:

"ASI094 Pro camera includes one 256MB DDR3 memory buffer to help data transfer more stable and  no amp-glow issue which is caused by the slow speed data transfer during reading out under USB2.0 Port.

DDR memory buffer is the main difference between ASI “Cool” and “Pro” cameras."

I guess it applies when using cameras with USB2 cable / controller? I had no issue with amp glow on my ASI1600 but I'm using USB3 cable and USB3 hub.

I'm using USB 3 too and can't say I've noticed any real issue.

Andy.

I get amp glow with the ASI1600MM-Cool but it calibrates out.  This is using USB2 (may be able to sort out a USB3 system later though).  Even if ZWO bring out a PRO version I won't be buying it - no money left!!

Archived