SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GSO 8" F/5 or SW Explorer 200PDS?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Newtonian 8" specifically for deep sky observing (I have the Skywatcher 120ED, great for planetary and imaging, but aperture a bit small to observe DSOs). I was thinking getting the Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS until I came across the GSO 200mm F/5.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/products_id/49

Slightly cheaper than the SW one (which has an EP with it but doesn't matter for me), they describe this scope to have high quality BK7 mirrors with 94% reflectivity and has a fan for better/faster cooling. I heard that BK7 glass is more sensitive to thermal fluctuations, but not sure if it's better to other glass types. I cannot find any technical specification about the mirrors of the SW (reflectivity, glass type...) so it's hard to compare.. I like to look at pictures on Astrobin cause it can reveal how accurate is the optic, in the case of these two scopes I feel that in general the GSO gives slightly better images than the SW explorer.

What are your opinions on these scopes? Which one you think is better?

Thanks.

I would want to check out the GSO for quality and construction, ease of collimating and focuser quality etc compared with the SW (quite apart from the optical quality).   SW have  an excellent record and of the numerous SW 8 inch tubes I have used they have all been excellent.  Also I don't know about the coatings on the GSO optics, but have never known a SW mirror to have a problem.  Of course, the GSO may be as good in all respects, but I'd go for the certainty (at least as far as I'm concerned) of a SW rather than just trying to save a few quid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2017 at 13:26, blinky said:

I would think, especially for visual that there is not a lot to choose between them

True- these are both budget brands and there is not a lot between them. I have several examples of each brand, for what it's worth I think the GSO focussers are better but it's not a deal breaker at this end of the market.

Archived