Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Bubble narrowband close-up.

RobH

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks folks...don't know what to say, you're too kind. :D

Martin, yes, we do have a bit of a microclimate in Weymouth actually!

There's a line of hills known as the ridgeway a couple of miles north of us and the weather changes as you cross it. I've driven out of weymouth on a ,mild winters morning aqnd gone into frost and fog just on the other side before now.

We also apparently have more sunshine than anywhere else in the UK, although that hasn't amounted to much this year!!

TJ, Do I think it's my best yet?....I'd not really considered it, you know how it is, you always look at your own work and just see the faults :D

That said, when the computer finished stacking the Ha and I first saw the result, I was pretty chuffed :(

Does anyone know how you submit an image for APOD?

I might as well have a go :Envy:

Cheers

Rob

Cheers

This is how you apply to have your picture as an APOD...

"Do you enjoy APOD? Do you have a picture that would make a good APOD? If so, we would enjoy hearing from you. Images are most often submitted by email or by posting to a web site. Please write to Robert Nemiroff at nemiroff@mtu.edu or Jerry Bonnell at bonnell@grossc.gsfc.nasa.gov regarding image submissions."

This bubble is fantastic and it deserves to be seen... Well done!

Rob,

A truely fantastic image, which just shows the versatility and excellent results that can be achived with an SCT. I hope this isn't too much over the top and an embarresment but some of your recent work has been truely inspirational to the rest of us, something to truely aspire to, thanks for sharing, you've made my day/week.

Steve..

What I think is fantastic and testament to just what an incredible bit of software it is, and how much it has transformed so many people's imaging, is that the 14inch SCT, and all that other lovely kit is being guided by a freeware app called PHD...

Industrial strength autoguiding (and indeed software) need not be complex or cost the Earth...

I have Shown a lot of people the image and the reaction is always the same "WOW" is the politest way of saying it as they are quite an expressive bunch :D I sincerely hope you submit it for APOD and it gets the credit it so rightly deserves as well as appearing as POW and in the Astorm Mags in the next few months.

I think I need to get the SCT collimated and try some of theses smaller targets :(

AS NickH has said its hard to Believe that an application so effective as PHDGuide is Freeware - not that I am complaining..Then again you also have DSS and DSS Live again freeware... and very good at what it does.

Billy...

I find it refreshing that there are some people who are willing to contribute their skills and their time, without demanding payment. I have no Idea whether the author/s, of PHD have a means whereby donations can be made., which will ensure ongoing updating and modifying when necessary, that is perfectly acceptable and desirable in my estimation.

Some are very modest, some are downright philanthropic. But at the other end of the scale, you get the greedy gits. I don't use PHD, but as I learn more about what I am putting together, I may well turn to it. If that is the case, I would not hesitate to donate a sum to the writers of the software, if there is a mechanism in place to do so.

Ron. :D

I completely agree chaps, PHD is the dogs danglies :D

It does give one a well needed faith in humanity, in this age of selfishness, to know that an obviously huge amount of time, effort and skill has been given to the rest of us, with no personal financial gain being made by Craig Stark.

I agree Ron, this should be rewarded.

Regarding SCT's....I've often seem them denigrated, especially the Meade's.

I have to disagree.

They are a great and very versatile scope.

Yes, they have their faults, and this can be annoying at times, but they're excellent value for the money, they have many strong points, and I find that lots of aperture cannot be valued highly enough, especially with a high focal ratio instrument.

Billy, there was a really great article on collimating SCT's in Practical Astronomer, using a Hartmann mask, I think in the February issue.

I'll check when I get home.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Any new info gratefully received :D

I have used Metaguide and a webcam in the past on both a fibre and real stars its just I haven't re-collimated the scope since adding the counter weight system as the CPC is only being used as a guidescope whilst I'm in widefield mode...Clear skies have been too rare to "waste" anytime on it.

Billy...

• 3 years later...

Good grief....this beastie's surfaced again, just when I'd got some recent subs and was considering a reprocess to add some proper star colour....it's obviously a sign.....must get on and do it ;)

Glad you like it guys!

Rob

I would point out the set of concentric halos on the star to the left - is that from the centre baffle?

Nick

Hi Nick....the halos are caused by a problem with the astronomik Ha filter, which they addressed later (this was 3 years ago remember)....at the time I didn't have the processing skills to remove them succesfully, but if I reprocess this image, they won't be there ;)

Cheers

Rob

I noticed your 2008 copyright in the image and I assumed you'd made a mistake and had recently done this image!! ;)

Wonderful to see what I had missed though!!

Good grief....this beastie's surfaced again, just when I'd got some recent subs and was considering a reprocess to add some proper star colour....

Archived