Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Marius Hills Dome Field

John

The Moon is looking very sharp and bright tonight :icon_biggrin:

The sinuous Schroters Valley is showing beautifully and to the south the crater Marius marks the edge of the Marius Hills, a field of domes of volcanic origin. Tonights phase is showing these really well close to the terminator :icon_biggrin:

Apparently the Marius Hills are the highest concentration of volcanic features on the lunar surface.

This area is also the site of the fascinating feature, The Marius Hills "Hole" (also known as the Haruyama Pit). Thought to be a collapsed lava tunnel it forms a kind of sink hole around 70 metres in diameter and 80 or so deep (beyond my scope I'm sure !). Here is a Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter image of this fascinating feature:

haruyama-2-400.png

I agree John the Moon is very sharp tonight. Set up the Orion VX8 with the TeleVue 8-24 zoom + Baader Barlow 2.25X - as you stated the view around Aristarchus and the Schroters Valley is very clear. Also took in a few doubles - really sharp view of Iota Cassopeia showing that the collimation is spot on - mag 253x.

I'm just in from a session with the vx14 checking out Aristarchus, Herodotus, schroters valley, and the Agricola mountains. I noticed the Marius hills to the south but didn't go for a proper look this time. 

Best at 153x for me as I was looking through some roof heat which made more magnification less helpful.

Well I managed to get up early but not early enough to go to work as planned so I have got back into bed for an hour ? I did manage to get a nice 30 minutes of observing in before it got to light with Venus, Mars and Chi leonis all lined up nicely and a few other regulars looking as wonderful as ever in the early morning.... Sadly no Moon ? 

1 minute ago, Astro Imp said:

Thanks John, really enjoyed your report of an interesting area. Unfortunately I couldn't get out last night as I have a bad dose of man flu.

Hope you feel better soon Alan. Interestingly, my brother and his wife have been struck down similarly and they live near Lincoln too !

Just now, John said:

Hope you feel better soon Alan. Interestingly, my brother and his wife have been struck down similarly and they live near Lincoln too !

Thanks for the good wishes John, it was really annoying as we haven't had that many good nights recently and the one we have I've not been able to take advantage of.

Archived