Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How many nights out observing? (yr on yr comparison)

alanjgreen

As the weather is bad, I thought that I would count up the number of nights out observing that I have to done over the last 4 years (from my notes).

To keep it fair I just counted the first 9 months of the year for comparison.

Here are my results...

2017 (Jan 1 - Oct 1) = 44 nights

2016 (Jan 1 - Oct 1) = 30 nights

2015 (Jan 1 - Oct 1) = 22 nights (moved house which affected count)

2014 (Jan 1 - Oct 1) = 63 nights

1. I knew last year was bad but you can see just how bad it was :(

2. 2014 was a great year for clear nights.

3. This year is not as bad as I thought :). In fact 50% better than last year - Hurrah!

Hope this clears you all up a bit!

Alan

Thanks, this is a nifty little benchmark. I don't keep track myself, but my feeling is that I do well to average more than one observing night per week - which I probably don't...

It certainly keeps the experience from losing the magic due to overindulgence.

:rolleyes2:

Well Alan - apparently not so bad at all, according to my stats, although it must be stressed that some sessions were short, some early others late, and many often cut short by cloud.  But anyway:

2016 - whole year - 116 sessions - almost one every three days!

2017 - up to now - 65 sessions - not so good, but I don't actually feel I've "under-observed".

Thanks for the interesting post!

Doug.

For me on the south coast

2015 64 sessions out of a possible 241 nights

2016 105 sessions out of a possible 310 nights

2017 96 sessions pot of a possible 249 nights so far

For me a session is equipment all set up and Polar aligned with either then phd2 running or at least a object viewed through scope. 

A session may run for a hour onwards. And a very understanding wife :) 

Clear skies

Dean

For me, in South West Germany (Odenwald):

2017 Jan - Oct: 77 observations

2016 Jan - Oct: 60 obs.

2015 Jan - Oct: 47 obs.

2014 Jan - Oct: 55 obs.

2013 Jan - Oct: 31 obs.

So, an increasing number, partly due to the fact, that, during the last years, I'm observing even under less favourable conditions (haze/clouds; near full moon etc.) Seems to be rewarding.

Stephan

Last two years I have been considering myself lucky to observe. For example , there was a gap of a few hours last night. The seeing was awful, just about split 3". The terminator could have been made of jelly ! Still , it was great to get out there .

Looking at the better forecasts , it seems that the jet-stream has not stabilised its position and the persistent whipping north and south has invited in the most unseasonable and unstable weather. 

Just grab the moment , it might not be the best. I notice however that the Sun always shines down south ( on tv) !

Astronomers  (of whatever church )have enough to deal with, that's why there're so generous and helpful , hurrah ( and double huzzarh!)

Nick.

Archived